More stupid ipad questions

Hey Nauts,
Sooooo i have one of these dumb ipads that only has usbc and often times i just take it with my mpc to have some sampling fun. I just picked up a usbc to stereo ts cable thingy hoping to not have to use a dongle but i noticed it was pretty quiet when sampling. So i became curious, how different are these cables/dongles. I tested three, a big ole dongle, the usbc to trs jack take comes with the unit and the new cable.

I should now by now that if it seems to be good to be true it is but i had to see for myself. Anyways using these three, i sampled the same kick drum from the sega synth into looper to see the difference.

Sampled in order (large dongle, small dongle, weird cable) and with the ipad on full blast, you can see the difference clearly. The large dongle shows the cleanest fullest sample, the apple adapter does something weird to the attack and the new cable is dookie.

Has anyone ran such tests and if so, what are the results? Whats the best way to get the cleanest audio out of a “modern” ipad pro? I swear this is my last apple device lol.
Also, slightly related wth does a qwerty keyboard for the ipad not play synths like a mbp would? So annoying.

1 Like

I use a Roland Duo Capture, it works well and is fairly inexpensive.

But yeah iPad Pro is my last Apple device too, I hate it and I have grown to hate Apple and their shit tactics, problem is Android is shit too.

1 Like

That reads like a limiter or compressor at work: go to Settings > Sounds > Reduce Loud Sounds and turn that off and see if this improves the situation. I’d assume that iPad treats this little adapter like a pair of headphones. This should also allow you to increase the volume further.

Cleanest way to get audio out of the iPad is to not use audio out: I use Loopy Pro or Koala to sample AUv3 performances internally on the iPad Pro and then transfer those clips to my blackbox. This does obviously not work if you want to sample music or video streaming sources. Who needs clean audio anyway these days? :wink:

4 Likes

Probably the safest way is using a decent class compliant USB audio interface.

5 Likes

That’s strange. The other two dongles are designed for headphones yeah, but I wouldn’t think that would make a significant difference at all.

Wondering if that cable is primarily intended for a line input rather than a line output? Can the choice of DAC in the cable affect the output level?

My preferred choice of device for your situation is the Rode AI-Micro. It’s tiny, lightweight and has the advantage over your other options of having audio in and out at the same time. It basically lives as an extension to my headphone cable, and I just swap the lightning/usbc/usba adaptors it comes with depending on what I’m plugging into.

Or alternatively I use its headphone out as a line out from iPad all the time into say digitone if I’m playing along to a tutorial or something.

It’s seriously one of the best friction reducing purchases I’ve made, because it’s so easy to tack it in to whatever you’re doing if you decide after you get setup that you want to record or whatever (you know those ugh cbfd moments).

Thread about it here: Rode AI-Micro and/or other tiny audio interfaces

1 Like

Need class compliant interface, a camera connection kit, and a usb hub if you want to power your iPad too.

1 Like

I use a Digitakt

1 Like

Hopefully not if you have a USB-C iPad?

1 Like

Oh yeah oops. Point is whatever op is using is not the best way. I use this with my iPad Pro, the sd card slot comes in handy:

CalDigit USB-C Gen2 10Gb/s SOHO Dock - Up to 4K 60Hz, HDMI 2.0b, HDR, DisplayPort 1.4, 10Gb/s USB A & USB C, UHS-II microSD and SD Card Readers, Bus Power and Passthrough Charging Support https://a.co/d/4UQOWvq

1 Like

I think you’ve missed the OP’s point a bit.

They’re asking about the performance difference in the different options they have available to them.

The point seems to be a dongle/hub free approach for quick and portable sampling from their iPad.

Yes, a hub and an interface will give the best audio results, but that’s not the priority as far as I can tell.

1 Like

I thought i already turned off that setting but ill give it another go. Maybe it auto switches while plugging in different dongles.

Hmm i guess thats totally possible. Hadnt thought of that, will run some more tests. There’s also always the option to drop an insert effect to boost signal on the mpc. Im currently eyeing that preamp from the cats who make the RNC compressor. Not as small but can use for different things (FMR Audio - RNP)

Thats pretty similar to the dongle on the left which indeed “looks like it sounds better” https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09VBRD25V/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Everyone has some good points here. I was more curious about whats going on with all these different levels/results. And now honestly im more curious so ill probably run some more tests. I was recently considering finding an external VU meter of some sort to manage my terrible habit of making beats at all different kinds of volumes lol. I appreciate all the assists. Will report back with further findings

Can’t you just connect the MPC to the iPad with a USB cable? Then you’ll get a digital copy of the audio in both directions, no analog conversion required?

Not sure if the MPC can do this, but it’s how I connect my Digitakt to the iPad for example.

1 Like

but unlike Apple, Android is unusable shit.
HUGE latencies and very few apps.

1 Like

Yeah I tried recording my OP-Z via USB on my S23 and it either doesn’t work or has pops and crackles. Google doesn’t give a shit.
I definitely prefer Android for everyday use, but it’s not an option for music at all. It’s iPad or Surface.

Havent tried that, for the dt ive used and usb c to usb b, the mpc would require a usb c to usb a. Will try that as well tho.

Lol, thats a no go on usb c to usb a

i seriously recommend their devices if you want to use an iPad/phone with your gear.

i use audio4+ seamless audio/midi between all my hardware and any iPad or computer, AND it can be used stand-alone, as an audio or midi router.

1 Like

I have 2 kawaii mav-8’s for the proper studio set up. Just been looking for solutions for a smaller couch set up when im feeling lazy. The dt with the ipad works great but my dt isnt battery powered yet.