More noobing: Track starts sampling without recorder trigs

RLEN is set to pattern length. Usually 16, 32 or 64. Not MAX.

You mean your one shot was continously recording, staying armed? (yellow, not blinking)

Is that the case for you @Marklaar?

Try also in a new project.

It happens both way as I mentioned. One-shot trig (yellow blinking) or red trig and deleting it during the recording. If there is a playback trig then the recording starts over. If I delete the playback trig it is OK. I know it is a playback trig because if I place it after the recording it will play back.

In REC SETUP, is the recording cursor goes to the beginning at each pattern loop?

Once again, only swapped trigs would explain that. Just to be sure, do you place one shot Rec trig in REC SETUP page?

You can see trigs and rec trigs in TRACK TRIG EDIT menu : FN+Bank in grid recording mode.

Iā€™ll triple check again, but as a recorded a lot off stuff, Iā€™m sure that I know where to place the recorder trigs. Iā€™m on the REC SETUP page (FN+Rec1)
I know it will be a user error on my side, I just want to figure out how to play back my recording instantly. Now the only way to record some stuff and than place the playback trig, otherwise the recording starts over and over.

You know how apparently.

No, exactly what the OP described in 1st post. No record trigs present, recording starts immediately when pressing play.

1 Like

This oneā€™s weirdā€¦ :smile:
Why would a play trig stop a recording?

Did you test on new project? What are the input selections and source locks on the record trig? Could it be a Src3 and it just doesnā€™t play until the recordings over (Src3 behavior)?

1 Like

I almost want to say bug but weā€™ve had some headscratchers that eventually we found a reason forā€¦ It would be a pretty serious bugā€¦
I think we need OP to test on blank projectā€¦ :slight_smile: Video would help if it does it thereā€¦

2 Likes

I was also having a similar issue to this too. Iā€™m only a couple weeks in but have been spending some serious time learning as much as possible. Almost this exact thing was happening to me as well. Couldnā€™t figure out what was stopping and starting the recordings in grid mode. I thought it must be user error and have been practicing recording to the buffers. I seem to have it figured out but it was very complicated. All the courses, tutorials and manual all seem to make it look easy and was closely paying attention step by step and it appears that play trigs stop recording trigs while on a flex machine track recorder.

Really? Where are the other MK2 operators? How come this hasnā€™t come up until now? Thatā€™s a major issueā€¦ :thinking: Maybe certain settings? Hmmmā€¦

Iā€™ve never seen this happening. Are you sure itā€™s not just a playhead position problem when you have a record and play trig on the same step?

When record and play trigs are on the same step you need to shift the play trig with microtiming to the right otherwise you may not hear the live audio. This behaviour looks like it is not recording while indeed it is.

I would suggest to have the record buffer open in the audio editor, so you see exactly whatā€™s going on (if recording really stops).

This happened to me last night. I think itā€™s an issue of 1.30c I had to reload project and restart the octatrack to get my one shot trig to work correctly.

I am not totally sure but I will double check.

Yeah so that was me trying to figure this out on my first go around with live recording and it was frustrating as hell because Iā€™m watching 3 videos of guys explaining how to do it and Iā€™m doing the exact thing they are doing and the buffers are all out of whack.

I restarted. Came back to it and I seem to have it working now. My concern is that this was at a critical moment of my learning and it was a real mind phuq.

I came away with, make sure there is no playback trigger on the grid while recording?

Is that a normal function or why would I want to have a playback trig while recording anyway, is that desirable?

It simulates a thru machine with all the manipulation possibilities of the flex machine (well, almost all, because you can only replay whatā€™s already recorded).

1 Like

Itā€™s a main feature of the Octatrack and the inspiration of creating it based off of the Machinedrum Ram machines as described in the beginning of the manual, the thing it really does that other machines donā€™t. It allows for live looping and all sorts of realtime automated live sampling tricksā€¦

Works fine on my MK1 OS 1.25H, I use it in every pattern I haveā€¦

Moreover, it doesnā€™t add any measurable latency over a Thru machine. Itā€™s almost a miracle.

1 Like

Yeah this project worked fine on 1.25e so thinking something must have broken with 1.30c

At this point Iā€™ve read enough on the forum to not updateā€¦
If folks would please send in bug reports it would help a lot to get us a stable, fully functional OSā€¦