Moog Subsequent 37 CV

https://www.moogmusic.com/news/announcing-subsequent-37-cv

1799US if you’re paying

1 Like

As much as I love the moog sound, the AK’s CV have me satisfied. At a much cheaper price point. And those moog 37 key units are soooooo big.

3 Likes

The new sound path seems noteworthy.

I wonder if it brings it into the realm of their High High end modular stuff… or maybe

it is a entirely new routing for any moog…

1 Like

Sub37 is .75 inches wider and 2 inches deeper then the AK…

…That height though…

2 Likes

Discuss! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Not sure more overdrive is what the Sub needed. It was pretty loud and growly to begin with.

1 Like

meh…

It needed headroom if anything. It was loud and growly. Back when the Sub37 came out I liked it in the beginning, but the third oscillator of the voyager is how moog got me. You could buyed a used Voyager rack if you look around too. But there’s also the dominion 1. There’s a lot of good monosynths to be had in the 1500 range.

1 Like

Just to give this thread some love, it looks like a sweet synth to me. Something about my Little Phatty’s sound won’t let me let it go, but I look forward to trying one of these some day as I’m sure I’d appreciate all the added features and of course, knobs!
Just got an email the other day and apparently this went out of limited and into standard production replacing the sub 37 tribute…
What can I say, love to stir some creamy mooogishness into my mixeses…
Look forward to hearing in person how much of that this one inherited and what new tricks it got under its mod wheel… :sparkles::notes:

2 Likes

Yes, no doubt about that! I personally look at this synth (and the Sub 37) and see it as a “centre piece”/“heirloom”. A synth I would love to own mostly because of emotional reasons (which should be a good for desiring an instrument, shouldn’t it?). What really sucks for me personally is that it is practically impossible to ever touch one of these in a shop as our biggest music store here in Canberra does not stock these kinds of instruments, and I don’t feel like driving out to Sydney just for that purpose makes much sense…

1 Like

Sorry to hear that mate. Make it a day outing. Go to the music shop and test it out then get something to eat at a new place. That was you can sit on it before getting a subsequent 37. Sorry I’m not from AUS but how far would that trip be?

I drove 2 hours one way for an S1000 sampler. Oh it was worth it.

1 Like

In traffic, about 3+ hours.

But yes, you are probably right that it’s worth doing if spending this kind of money. I bought my Elektron boxes based only on YouTube videos and online reviews, and while they do not disappoint in term of technical capabilities, they lack a bit of immediacy and emotive power. I also have a Korg Minilogue, which is far less capable than an A4, but just has this hands-on fun and playfulness. It is just lacking in body and character - which the Sub 37 has in spades!

I’m torn. Having looked and listened more closely to this now, seems like Moog has addressed exactly the issues I’ve had with the Sub37. It was always tricky to make it play nice with other gear, without just holding it back too much, which sort of sold out on its character. This one seems much more suitable to fit in a larger context without acting like the boss all the time.

But if nothing else, it reminds me what an absolutely beatiful instrument the Sub37 is, subsequent or not.

1 Like

I’m still holding out hope for a Subsequent Slim…
Have no need/space for 37 keys, but would love to have the option to upgrade my slim phatty.

2 Likes

You can always route what you do live into something like live’s glue compressor on the master buss just so you can squish it in the other elements you are playing with.

Squishing it, cutting frequencies that are too harsh, or lowering that track volume can save the mix a little

But that sub 37 is a beauty

1 Like

Intriguing - looks like Moog are looking into a way to provide an upgrade option for existing Sub 37 owners, might cost an arm and a leg, though. Anyways, if you’re interested there’s a mailing list that’ll provide updates on this topic: http://moogmusic.us2.list-manage.com/subscribe?u=66ca69d70dceab5be9897856d&id=5d4cf083c4

Cheers,
Hans

1 Like

Excellent news. Especially the keybed seems interesting, if that’s part of the deal, though I’ll take anything Moog serves up in this regard.

1 Like

Very nice demo.

1 Like

I think little phatty is simple, but best sounding, best looking, of all phattys. Great innovative UI. Maybe it is because it is Bob’s Moog last synth.
And it is so cheap secondhand now.
I will get me a second one. Just in case…

1 Like