Moog Sound Studio

Yeah, it looks like the summing mixer will take 4 audio inputs and sum to a single stereo output. Good for jamming, playing live, or recording DAWless I suppose. Also cool that they baked 3 power outlets into the mixer as well.

1 Like

It all tastes good to me. I’ll get the glasses.

5 Likes

The packages are nice for sure.
I probably would get them used though. There are quite a few floating around, racks as well, and I don’t need the extra stuff

1 Like

I made my own Moog studio bundle. Voyager + LFE . Two gundam models and a notebook. Done.

3 Likes

I’ve owned both and didn’t think they went together sonically. The SubH seemed to want to go the Tangerine-Dream path, while the DFAM wanted to go the NiN path. Other than them both being Moog, I don’t see the connection between the two. I enjoyed both but I’d want to combine each one with something different. Just my two cents. I expect disagreement :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just so it’s clear, Moog is offering two different MSS packages.
One has a Mother 32 and a DFAM. The other has a Subharmonicon and a DFAM.

1 Like

That sideways scrolling screen is unsettling

2 Likes

So If I get both, I’ll have two drummers. Watch out Grateful Dead!

4 Likes

No, I understand.
I just don’t like it.

3 Likes

Haha. I would love SubH and M32 :joy:

1 Like

True. To me that’s a much more compelling combo.

I suppose people like me/us are why they’re selling the combos they are- unloading some DFAMs under the radar. (I really hate that sound)

1 Like

Either that or maybe they are the better sellers?

I figure they thought synth and drum but would be great to have synth and synth :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: not that u can’t do both with both! lol

I’m actually in the market for these so will probs end up with the dfam SubH combo - artwork is cool!

1 Like

Haha, a Mother 32 and a SH on a 2 unit rack is my exact setup, I guess I forgot to add the weird little drummer…

Those packages seem like a nice entry to their semi-modular echo system but to me the DFAM always seemed more fun on its own.

:space_invader: :bomb: :tongue:

BLAM— It all makes sense to me now ! Why sell one synth when you can sell two or three together at the same time. Turns out the MSS was just the start for Moog for a series of announcements for combination products.

Here’s another one i found — Moog has announced (or leaked a day early) a triple combo:

The Moog Motherlode

They’ve combined the Matriarch, the Grandmother, and the Mother-32, along with some special firmwares on all three, that allows you to play the Matriarch and make the “other mothers” follow her lead harmonically, using the rhythmic structures you set in the other two synth’s sequencers. It’s brilliant ! There’s also apparently a mode for the M32 to supply drum pattern backups. Kind of Moog’s version of an arranger keyboard i guess.

There also will be a Matriarch/Grandmother combo too, without the M32. Pretty amazing.
You can read more about it over >>here<< with some pictures and stuff.

I think the name The Motherlode is a little weird, but that’s Moog for you.

I wonder what else they’re planning ?
I’m expecting another announcement from them tomorrow.

3 Likes

I’m actually curious about that mixer thing. I can’t see that it it sold separately or even presented anywhere. Since I have the DFAM+SubH combo already that could be a nice add.

Today I am using the OT for that purpose, which is great of course but perhaps a bit overkill.

1 Like

That was my thought too. I just emailed them about an educator discount.

2 Likes

You could get a small Rolls mixer - the MX41b or MX28.

For power, you can use a daisy-chain cable:

/Thomas

2 Likes

I’d like to see the internals of that mixer. They must have the power isolated from the mixer side, as I’d fear there’d be additional noise created. One of my mantras is that you can never have enough DFAMs. Wonder what the educator discount is?
That art though…psychedelic Sesame Street?

The power is DC coming from a wall wart i believe. You’ll only get noise on any ripple on that supply, probably not much. Still you’re right you’d want to isolate. I think the summing mixer is passive (no op amps) so no power is used for it — plus that’s an inexpensive but quality alternative, especially when you know the inputs. (This is a surmise on my part, so i could be wrong.)