Moog Mother 32

3 tier rack looks great!
Great demo too. Nice work Moog!

Hi
Im thinking of entering the dark world of Modular. I know its a money pit but i do like the endless possibilities and randomness. Do you think this semi modular device is a good entry point? Im thinking of adding A deep space reverb or shimmer effect as it brings the Moog sound to life ive read. Any thoughts?

Yes

Also yes

Short and sweet but music to my ears!

2 Likes

Mother 32 is a good entry point and you can’t go wrong with Space. Once you decide to go truly modular just know it takes a lot of trying and testing and buying and selling. You need a clear idea of what you want to do with it too (ambient, techno ?, experiment with sounds to later arrange in DAW or a full fledged groove box/live machine ? etc…)

I any case M32/DFAM/0Coast are all great instruments and perfect to dip your toe in Euro :slight_smile:

I am thinking of giving up my M32.

Simply put its a hell of a lot of synth for the price. It sounds stunning and the patch bay offers endless exploration.

Reasons why Im considering giving it up:

1.) Im bored by the Moog sound. But if this is not a problem for you then go for it. The range of timbres it offers is a bit disappointing in comparison with other offerings (wavefolding, dual osc, ect.)

2.) You can’t detach the sequencer. Which means that the sequencer starts anytime it receives clock. As I do all my sequencing from the OT, this is a massive pita. Its sequencer is super powerful for the package though. If you plan to only use its sequencer, you’re golden. You can get a lot of Euro like random modulation with a combo of the sequencer and patchbay.

But i hesitate. I expect I would miss it dearly. Its absolutely angelic/demonic when it sings.

The great thing about Moog too is that it can weather any amount / kind of FX you throw at it. Most other things can fall under the weight.

3 Likes

Hm, have you tried plugging a patch cable into the RUN/STOP patch point (not connected to anything at the other end)? Does that get overridden by the midi clock?

1 Like

I’m thinking of getting one, too. For about the 100 time…
Love the sound. And as videos have shown, you can get really creative with the patchbay and sequencer

Have not. Will try and report.

Best Ive been able to do is disable the first step. In which case itll just do diddly squat until you press stop. It’s super anticlimactic. You get your sequence down, make your patch and you go to fire that bad boy up and AAARRRRRRGGGHHHH.

I usually just disable midi sync. With midi sync disabled, the sequencer doesn’t run (and midi sync only syncs the sequencer anyway so…)

Edit: I was wrong about that.

2 Likes

You mean disable on the OT? I need it for my AR :frowning:

Nope on the Mother-32, it’s in the setup mode.

1 Like

Wuuuhhhhh. Hot damn, must have misunderstood that. Will try. Thanks!

3 Likes

But doesn’t that mean it won’t receive clock?

Forgive my idiocy but I can’t find anything about MIDI synch in the manual. Is it related to tempo input setup?

It precisely means that and at first it disappointed me too, but when you think about it, it really only does receive clock to run the sequencer. Nothing else is clock synced on the Mother-32 (that I know of).

So the Octa or Digi plays the notes when it wants to, at its own clock speed, and all is fine.

2 Likes

It turns out that I have it working fine - notes on DT trigger the M32 perfectly, have ‘Assign’ set to a MIDI out as well.

Looking at my DT’s MIDI setup, I have ‘Clock send’ disabled. Couldn’t find another way to do it.

1 Like

I think you are right and I recall things incorrectly. I convinced myself I made it work but now that I remember, I did end up disabling clock send on my Digitakt.

Page 49 of the manual, there is a way to customize the tempo input mode, but it’s really just for the tempo input.

Reading https://forum.moogmusic.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=24452 people seem to disable the MIDI sync send on their devices (MPC, Octa, Digi).

Sorry @xidnpnlss I think I gave you false hopes. You might not be able to send MIDI sync to the AR and at the same time disable the Mother-32 sequencer…

Maybe with a device that filters the clock msg from the MIDI? https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-and-electronic-music-production/1150173-midi-clock-filter-off-box.html

1 Like

Damn annoying this.
Yea, the M32 wasn’t made with MIDI at the forefront, but come on! The MIDI implementation of the Minitaur is miles better and it still receives rudimentary CV.
I love the sound of the M32 and recently decided against selling it, but this issue really is a thorn in the side of anyone who thinks in a more holistic fashion, rather than being someone with deep pockets and an all-consuming desire for jack plugs (modular purist - in case you missed it :wink: ).

2 Likes

I felt bad for giving shitty advice so I ended up searching all ways to disable the Mother32 sequencer. The cheapest way seems to have a pattern with only one step but the step is a rest. I have to try it.

You can also use a device to filter the MIDI Clock events.

Both methods are explained in that vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf8RmL5FDVA

2 Likes