Moog Mother 32

Getting by with my perfourmer until the mothership lands …

Thought I’d share this with you all… This is just a quick, getting to know you, first test of the Moog Mother-32. I came up with this patching and sequence literally 10 minutes after unboxing. This was done in one take, no multi-tracking, and every sound you hear is coming from the Mother-32 in real time, including the percussion.

With all of the patch points, along with the noise source, you can get very interesting percussion elements going at the same time as both your Saw and Pulse wave voices… not bad for a “one oscillator” synth! (a touch of reverb was added from Valhalla VintageVerb.)

Now I’m just waiting for my 3-Tier Rack to be delivered so I can add my other two Mother-32s… which means more and much better videos coming real soon!

1 Like

may I ask, which camera is used for the live feed in the background on the projection in this of your videos ?

And may I ask where you bought it? I can’t find any available…

huh?= really, you know the type? … or are you also looking for a live feed out from a camera?

:confused:

off course the moog not the camera… damn, i forgot this is a synth forum and not a camera forum,umubhahhahahah

Gotcha! Yeah… The Moog… I can’t get enough… WANT!!

:wink:

may I ask, which camera is used for the live feed in the background on the projection in this of your videos ?

[/quote]
This was not my presentation in the Roland video, I was just a guy in the audience, so I have no clue what camera they used. Looked like some cheapish DSLR. You’d have to ask Malekko/MuffWiggler. (and I thought they’d release their own video by now of that presentation, but I guess they decided not to.)

4 Guitar Centers in Los Angeles had them on day one, but sold out. I heard they got more in this past Friday, but may be sold out again.

Sweetwater has been shipping out their pre-orders. They’ll be getting more in on the 22nd, but those may be sold out on pre-orders as well.

And Moog themselves, if you happen to be in North Carolina, may have 3 or 4 available for walk-ins at their shop (that was as of Friday morning, I heard from a source.)

But, much like the sub 37, there is going to be real high demand for this, even more-so with people buying 2 and 3 at a time, so you may have a long wait if you don’t get in early…

Guitar centre in San Francisco had one/some the other day.

I was thinking the same. I don’t know much about modulars, but doesn’t the Mother 32 look a bit light compared to a sub phatty or a slim?

What about the patching side? How does that look to a modular user? Also, how would you hook it up to an A4 for example?
How does it compare to a Dark Energy or a Werkstatt?

Eric

I just see a different way of working.
I’m not interested in something like this because it’s specs match my A4.
If you put all the params of an A4 on the surface, it would be a massive instrument.
For me something like the Mother 32 is about having something much more focused than that, “something lite”, to add to other such things, which leads to lots of experimentation. It’s less influenced by weather or not it does modern things, like import midi sequences etc, more about sculpting a sound.

Currently I am considering getting rid of my A4.
As much as I like this Mother 32, I do ask myself, why this and not other modules, or a Nyborg 24, or another SlimPhatty etc.
I’d say my main interest in a Mother 32 is that it implies they will be rolling out a series of modules, effects and other wise. And if those modules match this design ascetic UI philosophy, and price point, count me IN.

I was thinking the same. I don’t know much about modulars, but doesn’t the Mother 32 look a bit light compared to a sub phatty or a slim?

What about the patching side? How does that look to a modular user? Also, how would you hook it up to an A4 for example?
How does it compare to a Dark Energy or a Werkstatt?

Eric[/quote]
It’s funny hearing some people compare this $599 desktop module to a $1500 Sub 37… and yet, there are things I can do with this that can’t be done with my Sub 37.

There is no VCO sync option since it only has one VCO, but there are a ton of patching tricks to do things such as Linear FM, or using the Sequencer to Modulate the CV Mix, or patching both the Pulse wave and Sawtooth so you are getting both with one VCO.

The patching side of this is the key point (even though you can get lovely powerful sounds without patching) and in my case, having three Mother-32s means I know have a 3 VCO Moog synth with 3 Sequencers and 96 CV patch points! For less than half the price of a Voyager. That’s a pretty powerful option.

They’ve added a Mult, a CV Mixer and even an Assignable CV Output which is pretty amazing (page 44 of the user manual shows the 16 assignable options you have for this output. Moog really thought this through!)

Anyway, here are another couple of videos I did a few days ago as I work through what these Mothers can do…

Ohh … not funny, if you compare a two mother-32 module setup to a Sub37 or a Dominion-1. For me the question is/was, what do I get from two or three of these voices sonically?

From the audio clips that are available I would say … moogish … very good sound, but there are some limitations (sync, EG).

From a modular perspective I would say, it’s a good starting point, but if there is already some modular gear in the studio, it will hardly take you to the next level. For the same money some west-coast like dual VCOs from Make Noise or Verbose (FM and more cross modulation capabilities) combined with not too mainstreamed EGs and filters would get you to new sonic territory.

Maybe that I have got a couple of good east-coast hard-wired stuff already and I am starting to seek vanguard gear in the modular realm :wink:

[quote="“SoundRider”"]

Ohh … not funny, if you compare a two mother-32 module setup to a Sub37 or a Dominion-1. For me the question is/was, what do I get from two or three of these voices sonically?

From the audio clips that are available I would say … moogish … very good sound, but there are some limitations (sync, EG).

From a modular perspective I would say, it’s a good starting point, but if there is already some modular gear in the studio, it will hardly take you to the next level. For the same money some west-coast like dual VCOs from Make Noise or Verbose (FM and more cross modulation capabilities) combined with not too mainstreamed EGs and filters would get you to new sonic territory.

Maybe that I have got a couple of good east-coast hard-wired stuff already and I am starting to seek vanguard gear in the modular realm ;)[/quote]
Yeah, if you already have Eurorack stuff with interesting voices, the Mother-32 may not offer much other than having an authentic Moog voice. But as an entry system to get your feet wet into Eurorack, I think they are a fine alternative.

And as synths on their own… well, especially with my latest videos (below) people are liking the sound of the Mother-32s more than the Sub 37 (myself included) despite the M32s limitations. It could just be the psychology of having something new, I don’t know, but the simplicity of it and the rawness of it’s Oscillators along with it’s pretty powerful patching capabilities (again, it has a Buffered Mult, and an Assignable CV Out) makes this a powerful synth in it’s own right.
So, here are two more videos of the Mother-32 synths now that I got all three going… it’ll be my last demos for awhile (I need to seriously get to work now.)

This first one is a very rough and sloppily played tribute to seb17320’s excellent “Mos-Lab 15 demo” video. I wanted to see if I could pull-off something close using three Moog Mother-32s. The playing is really rough (due to attempting to play a solo on the little buttons instead of keys) the sequence is not very close to the original, and the video editing in general is cr*p (I couldn’t figure out how to do Seb’s 4-way split screen) but I hope everyone can appreciate the spirit that this demo was intended in! I used a touch of Valhalla VintageVerb on each part.

Seb’s original video can be found here (I highly recommend watching it) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0JbLiu6yDM

The second one is just another quickie demo to show the variety of sounds…

Out of curiosity, why is this?
Sometimes, I think I’ll never be the Octatrack ninja I’d like to be, and I should just acknowledge my roots -classically trained musician with some sound design chops - and go for an instrument that’s closer to what I’m good at. To play, compose and design sounds around that.
And for that, the A4’s a strong candidate.
But I see people from time to time declare their love for this instrument, then abandon it after awhile.
Why is this? How can a four voice multitimbral great sounding analogue synth with a built-in sequencer ever grow tiresome?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCJacEzcU7A

moog mother 32 vid

[http://moog mother 32 vid](http://moog mother 32 vid)

<iframe width=
<iframe width=

that shit is awesome. so now i have to get a sub37 AND the MM32