Moog Mother 32

Be kind of neat if there was an XL version with more oscillators - a reimagined Voyager RME.

That would be awsome !!!

Yes, it’s that simple. But when used with the Hold function on the sequencer, and when combined with another unit, simple becomes… not so simple. This is a synth for people to discover the joys of patch-programming, in the safe and secure Moog ‘ecosystem’. One could always add a cheap ADSR euro module, and then boom, there you go. But my guitarist friend who just bought a Sub 37 last month would probably shrug his shoulders about all of this. That’s fine, he has an awesome synth and we’re all in a different place, music synthesis-wise.[/quote]
Absolutely agree, it’s directed more to modular users … and since I am up to extend my modular equipment (and a Sub37 is already here ;)) , I am only eager to learn more about sound and features.

The Mother-32 calls for a price tag that compares to dual-oscillator modules from MakeNoise and Verbose. Despite the different synth concepts of east/west coast that can’t be compared one to one, I expect excellent sonic capability for that price.

:joy: hahah …well said!

Roland who???
Welcome Moog -)

Couple of years ago I’d have been all over this. Looks a wonderful introduction to modular for sure. Seq & midi to cv are a welcome addition!

Having taken the Euro plunge I’m very happy with my mishmash of MakeNoise, Intellijel, MI, ALM 4MS etc… Not sure I have a place for this, kind of heading in the other direction really, Logic gates, random gate masks & Buchla inspired Woggles :slight_smile:

Demos sound great tho, look fwd to checking one out in the flesh. No menus & no shared knobs is the godsend for me. Got an SP a while back & while it sounds great I really can’t be arsed with all that menu diving!

For all those with modular setups already, would you say this is a good starting point? I have a painful case of GAS…

I wish I could figure out how to create some extra DIY patchpoints on a Boomstar 5089. It would give me a 2 osc more compact version of this new moog, and I can stick with the A4 sequencer and reverb. Have yet to see anything on the net, which is surprising given the amount of synth modders that are out there.

the mother 32 does look tempting though, single osc is a bit disappointing and no proper asdr.

Guess it depends what you want really. If you’re a keyboard player or songwriter that needs a quick fixed system but then wants to indulge in a bit of exploration then I’d say it’s great.
If you’re a bit more into sequencers & generally West Coast-ish then I think designing your own Euro is the way to go.
Euro is booming & some fantastically inventive individuals are creating some gems. Justin at Abstract Data, Danjel at Intellijel & Tony at Make Noise are just a few examples! Moog isn’t in the same ball park & I don’t mean that in a negative way, it’s just a very different philosophy :slight_smile:

It is a remarkably good value.

I was just pricing together the various modules that would make up the Mother 32.
VCO, VCF, VCA, LFO, Mixer, Noise, Multiplier, Sequencer, Midi input

And, well the VCO, VCF (LP SE Booster 5089), VCA, LFO will run you upwards of $599 alone.

So you’re getting the noise source, the capability to switch the filter to high pass, the mixer, the mult, the 32 step sequencer, and the midi input all for free. And no way all of that is fitting into 60hp like the Mother-32.
Also, the case and power supply… free.
Also, that assignable output that can do all sorts of fun stuff.
Really, this thing is worth about $999.

They are going to sell so many of these.

For those that want more than the single OSC sound, just add another cheap mixer module plus a pitch shifter for detuning, as you can take both the Saw and the Pulse .wav outputs at the same time, or a buffered multiple if you want to just multiply one of the waves pre-pitch shift.

[/quote]
Yep, no doubt about that!
It’s a hell of a synth at that price & I bet it sounds the shiz in the flesh.
When I started down the patch route I’d have killed for one of these.
Knowing what I know now & more importantly knowing what I want at the moment, it’s not for me. Might change my mind when I get my hands on one?
Honestly for that amount of cash you can hardly go wrong tho. If in doubt, buy one, if it’s not for you flog it.

[/quote]
Yep, no doubt about that!
It’s a hell of a synth at that price & I bet it sounds the shiz in the flesh.
When I started down the patch route I’d have killed for one of these.
Knowing what I know now & more importantly knowing what I want at the moment, it’s not for me. Might change my mind when I get my hands on one?
Honestly for that amount of cash you can hardly go wrong tho. If in doubt, buy one, if it’s not for you flog it.
[/quote]
Indeed. All killer, no filler.
I can see this being of interest for a variety of use types.
Those looking to reduce their HP footprint, those who want to add a little more “east coast” to their current setup.
And for those just starting, take a Mother-32, add a Braids, an MS QPLFO, some wave shapers, and they’ll have a lot more synthesis capability in 100HP than was previously possible.

I was just pricing together the various modules that would make up the Mother 32.
VCO, VCF, VCA, LFO, Mixer, Noise, Multiplier, Sequencer, Midi input

And, well the VCO, VCF (LP SE Booster 5089), VCA, LFO will run you upwards of $599 alone.

So you’re getting the noise source, the capability to switch the filter to high pass, the mixer, the mult, the 32 step sequencer, and the midi input all for free. And no way all of that is fitting into 60hp like the Mother-32.
Also, the case and power supply… free.
Also, that assignable output that can do all sorts of fun stuff.
Really, this thing is worth about $999.

They are going to sell so many of these.

For those that want more than the single OSC sound, just add another cheap mixer module plus a pitch shifter for detuning, as you can take both the Saw and the Pulse .wav outputs at the same time, or a buffered multiple if you want to just multiply one of the waves pre-pitch shift.[/quote]
great explanation and sum up of the topic a noob like me would have wanted to know!

It would be ideal for someone looking to get a start in Eurorack.

For me, personally, I feel my A4 goes further than even 4 of these would go, and for half the price.

Last night I worked on getting some good clean patches out of A4, similar to those in the Moog video. It wasn’t hard at all, and quite enjoyable. Best of all, I have them saved in the +Drive memory to use again and again.

That would have been the answer to my original question, so, yah, I’ll take that as a recommendation.

Whatever the case, I have a lot of research ahead of me.

Thanks for the responses!

moog must get flooded with posts,
asking why there is no chain possiblity

everybody of my friends seeing them said the same thing:
i want 3 of them.

Moog slaying it. This one’s a game changer.

Question: how does the sequencer work? I see step buttons but no knobs for step value.

That was my question too and then i RTF quick guide and Ohh look at that the sequencer keypad is a keyboard octave.

Niiiice.