Moog Mother-32 for bass?

Anyone here has a Moog Mother-32 yet?

Is it any good for bass? Or is that one oscillator not enough?

had the luck to grab a promo-unit 3 weeks ago and love the Mother!
sure it´s possible to use it for basslines, but that would clearly underestimate its potential…
good thing for playing live is the sequenzer with 32, memories, but as i said, it´s wasted if you use it for basslines only…
get a Minitaur or Brute or something like that…

Thanks for the reply.
Nope, if I get it, I intend to use it for most everything - leads, sequences, layer, sonic mayhem, but also bass, connect my keyboard to it and play it like that, too.
I used to own a Minitaur and loved it, but made a gear purge and sold it with the rest. Now, I’m feeling what I really miss, and I do miss that bass.
So since I own just an Octatrack and a Yamaha Reface CS now, and really don’t want much more gear unless it fills an essential slot, I’m thinking the Mother could be a lot of things, and if bass could be one of those, that’d be great, too.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

1 Like

I think it’s a pretty valid question.

That’s an analog monosynth, wouldn’t recommend it for bass.

The Minitaur has two oscillators, as does the Dreadbox Hades – another bass-specifig analog monosynth. That could be part of the reason why the man would like to know if anyone in the know feels limited by the single oscillator of the Mother 32 when it comes to bass duties.

That’s exactly right, thanks.
Having owned a Minitaur, that’s my reference. I get this is not the same, but maybe a single oscillator from Asheville might still blow four oscillators from San Francisco out of the water when it comes to bass.
But how would I know? I’ve yet to try one and they’re not available here yet. Hence the question.

it got a VCO, so it allready beats all the DCO crap…
and the ladder filter sounds very warm, compared to, for example… the Mopho or Brute…
it´s a choice of sound you won´t regret!

QI haven’t played with a Mother yet (what is up with Moog’s naming conventions, this is only marginally better than “Phatty”)…but I actually generally prefer single osc sounds for bass, it’s clearer and less muddy. Obviously it comes down to style and preference of course. Nothing wrong with a 101 for bass for example.

I am thinking also about a mother 32, but only one osc seems a bit lame. Clearly they want you to buy two or more modules, but then i think about the A4, where i can get so many sounds from - ok its not modular, but with the LFO´s and envelopes i could have nearly everything as a target - so the question is what i would be missing out.

I just thought that having something which is not enslaved to the pattern sequencer could be usefull.

I vote that you get an Analaog Keys to compliment the octatrack. If you route the filters feedback to the osciallator, you get really crazy sub bass from the Analog Keys. (And everything else, including crazy noisescapes, bubbels etc.)

It’s only one OSC but that one OSC sounds so good. Then again I’m a fan of the Moog sound.

BTW, the Dreadbox Hades demos on their site sounds real good for bass. One OSC as well but has 2 Subs. You should check it out.

I never got the memo that said single oscillator analogs don’t offer up nice bass potential - to my tastes when offered the option for 1 thru 3 it is often the single oscillator patches that do it for me - be it VCO DCO or VA - each instrument has its own sweetspots and every owner has their own preference … try it, see if it floats your boat

1 Like

Rolls eyes at first sentence - a lot of non VCO based synths are good at bass.
Juno 60, 6, 106, DX7, DX100, TX81z, Casio CZ1000/3000/5000 my V-Synth can do huge bass and I use an old E-Mu Audity 2000 for a lot of extremely bass heavy patches as well, not to mention several hybrids and synths like the Waldorf Xt-K for starters.
The Monomachine can also rock out some killer bass sounds too.

1 Like

Yep - nothing wrong with an all digital bass i.m.o.

…and as others have said, if you want to add some sub to your oscillator, you’re going to be a bit limited with the 1 oscillator Mother-32.

Most of the time, on my Minitaur, I have a saw wave with a square wave mixed in an octave lower.

Also, Minitaur has a phase reset optional feature which means that the oscillators can start at the beginning of their cycle on every note.

VCOs don’t typically have that, which is why you end up having to dial in a slower attack.

same here.

Oh yeah, true - the Hades is 1osc. My bad.

Digital FM - can be great for bass too
Don’t judge a synth on paper- listen to it.

1 Like

Thanks for advise and input, guys. I’ll give it a try once it’s available here in Sweden.

But I kind of like my micro rig, and did the whole gear thing and won’t do it again, so it has to be spot on or not at all. But that’s what a demo is for. So it’s all good.

It sounds great but with the sequencer I wonder if it’s got some redundant features for Elektron users.

Speaking of bass though, I love the meeblip anode. If you are looking for a very digital sounding bass to contrast with the analog stuff, it’s worth checking out. It sound fantastic through the AK effects. Only problem is it doesn’t play nice with the Octatrack when it’s sending transport midi data.

I’ve posted several demo videos on another thread here, but yes, it’s great for Bass, Leads and just about everything else. Anyone that says one oscillator is lame (not you but the other person) obviously doesn’t have that much experience with synths in general…

Anyway, here is my latest simple video of my three Moog Mother-32s, each one playing a different part to show the variety of sounds achievable:

I’ve posted several demo videos on another thread here, but yes, it’s great for Bass, Leads and just about everything else. Anyone that says one oscillator is lame (not you but the other person) obviously doesn’t have that much experience with synths in general…

Anyway, here is my latest simple video of my three Moog Mother-32s, each one playing a different part to show the variety of sounds achievable:

[/quote]
Thanks, much appreciated. For what I’m after, this seems to do the job.