Moog Matriarch

I got around to trying the Richard Devine patches

Snapping Rubber is kinda the stereotypical (in my mind) Richard Devine patch - pretty wild and random sounding - a challenge to wrestle into something I could use in my music.

Register The Shift - has potential for ambient exploration

Scrambled Bass - you don’t need to patch this if you just want a Moog bass, but it’s really fun to play with the arpeggiator turned on.

1 Like

Thought I’d post this here as well as the Ableton thread…

Hoping for some help. New Ableton user alert……

I’m using a Moog Matriarch attached via USB. Midi track with External Instrument Device. Midi to and from the Matriach. Audio in from my input 1/2. All good. All works. Can start a new clip, record midi via Moog keyboard and the clip plays it back. Can also record automation for things like individual oscillator tuning - nice!

When I click record arm for the track, Ableton turns the Moogs Paraphony Voice mode to 2 voices no mater what the switch is set to on the Moog. Looking at the Moog manual, this is CC 94 with a value of 43-84.

How to I stop it doing that? Or work a around?

I am far from being an Ableton Live expert, but it should be possible to prevent Live to send “arm track” as Midi CCs. Ableton probably put it in there for their Ableton Push Hardware. But it should be possible to turn that off.

It’s an odd one for sure.

Only way I’ve got around it is setting Monitoring to Off, rather than Auto. No idea why that helps, but it does :man_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

I think that those settings are only sent if you have “remote” checked in the Ableton preferences. It’s to update control surfaces that have LED’s or motorized faders.

Make sure you don’t have remote checked for the Matriarch? If that isn’t the case I can look later when I have Ableton Live open again to see what else it might be.

Edit: now that I think about it… you may have a MIDI loop going. I don’t have my Matriarch yet so I’m not sure if it has a switchable Local mode or not.

2 Likes

Thanks!

“Remote” is switched off 100%

I wounder Ed about a midi loop but couldn’t wrap my head around it. It’s set to receive on ch1 and send on Ch1, so guess if I made that 1 and 2, that would eliminate that.

Someone mentioned this on another thread:

it sends the midi cc whilst recording, but on playback of the clip it resets to whatever the Moog is set to

So will give both of these a go tomorrow!

Thanks again

1 Like

You’ve probably have a surface control script enabled that conflicts with the Matriarch.
Disable all control surfaces. Or if you can’t do this, set the Matriarch to another channel.

EDIT
All the “mechanical” switches on the Matriarch don’t work with MIDI feedback. They force the state to their mechanical position. It’s one of the many flaws of this synth. Midi implementation has many design problems.

1 Like

the cutoff knob thing is normal. also thought it was weird just how little resistance it has. it’s made that way to make it easier to play, for those that actually play keys and jam hard and fast :slight_smile: for studio it’s a bit silly.

edit: sorry this was meant to be at the end of the entire thread. no idea wtf happened here.

1 Like

I’m so excited for mine to arrive!!! Supposed to be here tomorrow but its way too far away according to tracking :frowning:

Sounds gorgeous!

8 Likes

Since I’ve been selling all of my gear replacing it with dream synths I haven’t had time to come back around here.

I just wanted to say that a week into the Matriarch and I have no regrets! It’s a forever synth :heart:. I haven’t even had much time to play it. I use it for break times, but I’ve already had some moments :slight_smile:

With just a tiny bit of patching (feedback mostly) this is exactly everything I love as a lead synth. I already know it’ll have more uses than that but wow!

Can’t wait to record some tracks with it!

12 Likes

Bro I need to take a cold shower after seeing your modular setup. Enjoy the Moog. It’s fun to record and print to DAW. Many Moogs feel like that.

1 Like

I guess you missed my endlessly rotating 12u case then?

/end off topic

8 Likes

It starts with the real basics but it looks like a really well done video nonetheless. I for one still have a lot to dive into even when it comes to the basic features of the Matriarch. Will watch this closely for sure when time allows it.

4 Likes

Some useful tips here, thanks.
Still pissed off by the bug that does not allow very short notes in paraphonic mode, though. (Not covered in this video, just a usual rumble…)

2 Likes

This is great… :+1:
I’ve been meaning to watch something that makes me want to get patching… I always find I can get totally lost in my Matriarch, inspired and happy, without using a single cable, so I tend to stay there.

Question;

Does anyone have a Matriarch and a Grandmother?
Are they too close to each other to really justify having both?
Spring reverb apart- should the Matriarch be able to pretty much do anything that the Grandmother does?

1 Like

I would say your right, the matriarch should be able to do everything the grandmother does, and more (except reverb)

I used to own a Grandmother, and now own a Matriarch. I would say yes the spring reverb is the only part of the GM you can’t really recreate in the Matriarch. there are some use cases for having both: gigging with the GM, wanting to have both “live” at once in a track, wanting the simplicity of the GM, or wanting to patch them together. but if you’re just after patching into the spring reverb, there are cheaper/more compact ways to get it.

1 Like

I’m really torn between the Matriarch and the Moog sound studio bundle (DFAM, SUBH, M32) as my xmas gift. I know those are really different and my long term goal is to own them all but I can only afford one to start with. Which one would be better to start with and go deep dive in ? I like the more immediacy and the sound of the Matriach but I’m not a good keyboard player and I’m willing to learn. I like the concept of a whole system with the sound studio (having one synth for each purpose, drums, lead and « chords ») and they do sound good to me as well. What do you think ?

If I’m honest I’d say Matriarch all the way. Once you get used to that you can see if you even need/want the M32 or SubH. But a DFAM and a Matriarch would cover a lot of ground for me, more than the Studio bundle would. But I also like to play the keys more than sequence things (not that I’m very good at it!)

4 Likes

Nice, an actual new tutorial!

1 Like