Moog ends production of Model D

This came and went pretty quietly… wonder what they have in store for us next… Voyager 2 with USB, arpeggiator and sequencer?

I feel like I’ve spent days thinking about this, where they need to announce a new synth in production, and it kind of needs to be a step forward because the Model D was a reissue–but, like you mention, how can they not have a Voyager going? And the Subsequent’s limited…but maybe that’s what they really want to focus on right now?

To me, they must want to have something impressive for the holiday shopping season, and it’s nice that they did a tribute at NAMM, but it was sort of the opposite of a big announcement. Argh. There’s no denying that I’ve wondered what’s next with Moog too much, and I do the same thing with Elektron.

Yup… competition is also quite fierce and the Voyager’s price point made it unobtainable for a few. There has been a flurry of vocal advocates over the years calling for a more affordable monosynth. I think the Voyager is unique and I quite miss mine if I’m honest. The advanced routing and patch saving was a Godsend although sound wise I am currently very happy with my AJH Synth clone in Eurocrack land.

Wonder what they’ll bring to the table next - that’s for sure. Think with Elektron will prob be a while before we see drastic steps in a different direction/product.

1 Like

I wouldn’t mind a four voice groove box from Moog. Though I think Moog would mind. A lot.

I think a Sub37 module / rack is on its way, it would fit the progression of the Voyager and the Slim. Then, they’ll release all kinds of versions of the Sub37, like they did with the Voyager. And expand on the modular concept. Seems like the Moogfest experiments are ideas they’re trying out, to see what’s most commercially viable, and then develop those into a full product. The Drummer module was a bit weak, not too much new going on there compared to the Mother.

But I really don’t care. Whatever Moog does, I’m gonna love it. My wallet’s gonna hate, though.

2 Likes

I would appreciate if Moog would re-invent their traditional sound using modern production technologies. I don’t believe that it takes components, which are rare today, to achieve this “moogish-sound”. AFAIK Moog has always explained the discontinuation of models by running out of components.

There are reasons, why the basic concept of the Model-D has become the standard for many VST instruments, which don’t even try to create a moogish sound. There is also a reason, why so many developers, be it hardware or software, tried and try to get this Moog-sound right. IMO it was not the Moog brand driving their efforts … it was the Moog-sound, which is wanted by many musicians. Maybe Bob Moog just happened to have had the luck to develop electronic designs, which create melodious sounds, which many people just like. This is worth to be continued.

Let’s jump to another instrument to make my point clear and ask, which player of a violine would complain, if we could today rebuilt a Stradivarius, a Guarneri, an Amati for decent money? I think only those, who have invested a fortune to buy one of the rare master pieces. But why shall quality of sound only be reserved for the wealthy?

This said, why not invent new creative tools too? But … TBH … any kind of subtractive synthesis is somehow limited, also if complexity shall not overcomplicate the instrument and increase cost.

IMO most really new sound creation methods will be rooted in the digital domain :wink:

Memorymoog re-make? I’d kill for a poly.

Moog are going to release a digital FM / PM / additive / wavetable / virtual analog monster :grinning:

1 Like

The Digimoog

1 Like

i for myself love animoog. that’s something different