Monosynth for someone with chronic pain? Pro3 vs Typhon vs AS-1 vs Norand Mono

What about the Matrixbrute?

Good luck, this is really hard to answer.

For what it’s worth I just ranked the following in order of most to least stiff.

Vermona Perfourmer Mk2; og Circuit, Waldorf STVC, Analog Heat Mk 2, Digitone, Beatstep, AS1.

Although when I tried again there was some second guessing that the elektron were much stiffer than the AS1.

1 Like

Weird, my PerFourmer knobs are like butter.

or perhaps your hands are like knives

1 Like

i do have adamantium claws.

1 Like

snikt!

But I agree, my Vermona knobs are nice and smooth!

1 Like

sniktety sniktety snakt! should I call you Logan or Weapon X?

1 Like

It’s probably through lack of use on my part haha. Although I didn’t twist every type on the panel.

1 Like

The lightest encoders in the game currently are on the Modal Argon/Cobalt.

Both are very capable synths, and reasonably priced too.

Cheers!

1 Like

The knobs on my Wavestate and OPSIX turn very easily. Assuming Korg uses the same components on their entry level gear, the Monologue should be a good choice.

Anti-recommendation: The Mk1 Syntrx’ knobs are on the stiff side. I enjoy the feel, but don’t have any chronic pain issues.

1 Like

Yeah, the Opsix is so smooth to use. One of my favorite devices, partially for that reason.

1 Like

A squirt of contact cleaner and 30 seconds of exercise and they’ll all be the same.

hi @m0ld – I am also a synth player with chronic pain, though mine is different from yours (aren’t they all?). Glad to see someone else in my boat here. I’ll shoot you a PM but here’s some public information for anyone else looking at this thread.

I’ve got both the Mono and the Typhon right now. I have laid hands on recent Sequential synths but don’t own any. Both the Mono and the Typhon have considerably less resistance than a recent Sequential synth would, but are not the absolute loosest pots I’ve played.

The Typhon has bigger pots as well, in case hand position matters at all. Norand recently switched to plastic knobs that are much easier to grip IMO than the metal ones.

The Mono has a lot of key combos to remember and with 2.0, they won’t be labelled on the case (unless Norand decided to sell a new case). Stepping in the filter hasn’t been an issue for me.

The Typhon has a tiny screen and faders, which are maybe easier on the hands than knobs. I find the Typhon screen too tiny for my taste (it’s just hard for me to see in the flow of music-making) and have been meaning to sell mine. But it does sound fabulous.

The Typhon is definitely mellower of the two but has fewer FM options. Those two facts are related.

In my experience, both companies have fantastic customer support. Yes, the 2.0 update is slow coming with the Norand, but that just means they are trying to get it right, which I really appreciate.

Hope this helps, happy to follow up.

4 Likes

Something to consider: larger knobs on any pot reduce the force required to turn the pot by increasing the torque generated for the same effort. If you really like a synth but want the knobs to be easier to move, and they’re spaced far enough apart to permit it, simply swapping larger knobs will make it often quite noticeably easier to manipulate.

4 Likes

Maybe a bit stupid but reading your first post, I though that maybe an interface as https://www.embodme.com/ could provide an alternative while keeping the synth (on condition that you can have full midi cc parameter or the one you want reachable).

1 Like

I was actually looking at these a few days ago! They are high on my list of things that might help.

Other suggestion : Moog Sirin/Minitaur. The knobs are really smooth and well spaced.

2 Likes

Update:

I bought a Typhon, it came in a few days ago. Sounds great, and I can navigate it with less pain. The footprint is a nice bonus, it’s a perfect size. It should fill the same niche in my setup. I appreciate all the help everyone!

16 Likes

love to hear this! may all your gear bring you painless joy! feliz navidad or something along those lines and to all a good night!

1 Like

Congrats!

1 Like