Monomachine - worth buying in 2020?

Depends when you bought it. But I am starting to consider SOME synths as a long term investment opportunity. I cant play em very well so may as well get something out of this hobby. I wish I bought that avalon analog bassline a few years back but didnt.

yes

if you end up buying one, i’m sorry.

i can relieve you of the burden of ownership for only $50.
dm me for details.

4 Likes

So do you wanna sell yours to me?

no way bruh

monomachine as a sound module alone is 6 units in one box. they call them mono synths, but every single one of them has like 5 oscillators stacked…a base, a unison, a sub, a lower sub…and each of those machine types comes with an ensemble variant that gives you 4 voices to build chords with, with parameter locks per step if you wanted. they aren’t even mono synths at all, the quantity of voices and texture that can come off of one sequencer ‘note’ is gigantic if you want. and between headroom control, filter distortion, and the gain staging structure of the EQ, it can go from crystal clear digital sterile to smoking meltdown self oscillation if you want, not many if any electric music boxes are designed with that much destructive capability, and it can also be used to do that too external audio as an effects box. as a sound module and effects device alone it’s peerless, even if it didn’t have a sequencer and parameter locks.

9 Likes

A year and a half later and we are at 3500 USD on Reverb. Zoinks!

2 Likes

Should we talk about the scratched-up TM-1 on Reverb that’s €299?

2 Likes

lol seen that :rofl:

I’m gonna be honest here, I do not at all understand the (relatively) new trend of “Is X synth worth it in year 20XX?)”
What is the relevancy of the year in relation to buying a synth?
The 1979 Moog model D is worth buying in 2021
The 2001 Korg MS2000 is worth buying in 2021
The 1997 Yamaha AN1X is worth buying in 2021
If they make the kinds of tones you need for your style of music and if the features are appealing to you.

Unless you are literally always only making music that is based solely on the newest music technology then any synth is worth it at any time.

Time has nothing to do with the quality of an instrument.

I just don’t understand the nature of this question and I see it on YouTube constantly.

But anyways to your question of the Monomachine in particular, if you can find one at a reasonable price then hell yes grab one, it’s a phenomenal synth, very strange and flexible and very capable of a wide variety of sound.
It’s the kind of synth that you grow with, once you think you totally understand it, it will surprise you and show you that you don’t.
I can say though to anyone that’s new to the Monomachine that you can’t take it at face value, you have to get in and tweak to really understand how good it is, if you just turn it on and load a synth engine you may feel that it’s thin or lacking but once you understand the gain staging of it and find the sweet spots it’s hard not to love it.
It was my first Elektron and I kind of wish it wasn’t because it set the bar so high that I ended up feeling slightly let down when I grabbed all the other Elektrons after (with the exception of the Machinedrum)

7 Likes

I started this thread last year. My intention was rather to get some more ideas, if it is worth the money (about 1600€ in October last year), not to evaluate if old gear is bad. I was late to the party and bought my unit in April for much more, but would not pay current Reverb prices for 3k.

One of the best box in my arsenal - I did not regret the purchase!

1 Like

We need a new thread “Is Monomachine worth selling in 2021” I think.

4 Likes

I do not regret selling it.

I loved the tones i got out of it, but had the urge to send it in for service…
It made me think about future problems that might evolve.

I do not think it‘s worth 3 grands.

1 Like

always depends for how much you sold it :smiley: I bet a lot of people bite their asses for selling it 3 month too early.

It been eons since i’ve used one of these. I remember being underwhelmed in the past, but I dunno if that was me just not “getting it” then. Often wonder if I should trade an MD for one. Maybe make a “Is Trading an MD for a MM worth it in 2022” thread to help me decide?
I def won’t be shelling out 3k+ for one in cash.

could be worth 4k+ in 2023! Who knows :slight_smile:

it would last that long if I didnt like it and I’d be out an MD

When i read you about investing in old machine, that remind me thinking about buying an old moog model d because of the good look. This model d sound great and has a really good look. But is it worth the 3k bucks ?
Happy to not have done that few years ago :slight_smile:

For the monomachine it make me smile to see people thinking it’s worth this reverb value. I have one, I like it, but definitely 3K for that, no way.

1 Like