Monomachine vs digitone

Get the mnm while you can. It’s a machine that does not disappoint and is really a keeper. It’s quite versatile especially in the “digital” realm. It really can do things that you cannot get out of any other synth. It’s also finished and solid. Bugs are rare, firmware is solid, etc. The digitone is still in production an will likely be for the next handful of years, grab that later, when it’s a more finished machine.

3 Likes

Really? I’d say it doesn’t not, NOT disappoint :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Lol, I’m on the phone and that’s likely an auto correct shenanigan. Time to go back and edit.

I have what i feel is a pretty full set of digital synths/machines; Digitone, Monomachine, Modor, Machinedrum and also starting to get into the digital realm of eurorack - and even though there is some overlap the MM stays, every time i use it i make something wonderful; be it fat basses, melodic trippy angelic sequences, weird drones or just odd FX… It´s great at so many things! And i haven´t even started using it in poly mode yet…

Hoiwever, if i want really evil wobbly gnarly bass, i now turn to my Digitone. Sh*t, this machine is wicked…
Them combine very good, sound great together!

1 Like

Further: Mnm is discontinued, it you sell it you don’t get the same chance to buy it as for a Dt.

Monomachine is still my favorite bass synth. Only thing better is MnM+Heat.

6 Likes

I’m somewhat having this debate with myself right now, though I think the lack of availability and relative high cost of the Monomachine these days makes it less of a contender than it might otherwise be. I think it’s worth noting that there aren’t a lot of used DNs out in the wild. The fact that people are generally keeping them is probably a good sign.

I had a MnM years ago and sort of wish I still had it, I’m just not sure I want to pay the “collector” premium to get it again. On the other hand, having used most Elektron boxes I still think they’ve mostly made changes for the worse since the MD/MnM days, when things were simpler and the grass oh so much greener.

DN + Euro > MNM :wink:

:control_knobs: < :poop:

FWIW: I have been seeing DNs used in NYC fairly regularly. I was on the fence as well, same scenario but I was patient and found an MNM at a reasonable price.

1 Like

What’s a reasonable price? They’re all over the place price wise and it’s hard to know what’s a good deal these days.

Cheaper is better :wink: :+1:t4:

Edit: my buddy is selling his kbd version of Mono.
Price is good but, will natch be more than just the box.

But he takes GOOD care of his gear. I think its listed in the for sale thread.

I can’t even get someone to give up their DN for an FS1R.

I do have a MonoMachine, and I am keeping it!

U trippin´ ?
Here there are lots of used digitones on the market at pretty decent prices too.
I´d swap mine for a FS1R easily, sell that and buy another digitone and still have a bucketload of cash left.

yeah i see them a lot.

Dammit! I really really enjoy the Digitone but would have made that trade for FS1R. Oh well.

FS1R remains high on my ‘want’ list but at its prices, I do think “I should just start tinkering with trying to learn Reaktor and/or MSP again and spend that money on a computer upgrade”. And I can understand why someone might look at rising Monomachine prices and feel similar.

1 Like

I’m curious what you make your bass patches with? I find myself getting some great bass tones out of it too… FM, wavetable or otherwise. Even just a sine sub is great

I also find putting SRR on any bass part makes it sound pretty, pretttyy rad.

1 Like

All of the above really. Fm and double draw engines being my favorites, but the simple sine + distortion with an lfo or two can also get really cool results. The MnM is such a great synth to layer on. I often try to arrange so the MnM is only doing one or two things in a track, but throwing most of its resources at those one or two things.

3 Likes

Keeping HP filter tracking on and setting the BASE parameter to 8, with a mid-high HPQ setting also creates some nice sub tones, depending on the synth engine. I use it to reintroduce bass if my FM settings are getting a bit too wacky.

2 Likes

Can’t afford mono so have Dn coming next week fun times