Monomachine Love Thread

He can really make the Monomachine sing.

New MNM track, playing around with DYNAMIX routing

12 Likes

First raw melodic jam on the SFX60 - I really love this machine!

Currently my absolute fav combo with MD - which starts to advance to my main drum machine (never thought this half a year ago…).

1 Like

Can someone help me find one not on reverb :tired_face:

love this…pretty sweet…

2 Likes

Cheers! If you’re curious I uploaded the sysex for this one in another thread: Monomachine Nonsense - #23 by okpk

3 Likes

Right on! Cool tune!

Anyone own the MNM SFX 6 version in Los Angeles ? (: image

Ricky Tinez on Monomachine

4 Likes

Always on the look out for interesting Monomachine content and I came across this :

Cool sounds :smiley:

6 Likes

So it took about 3 years but I finally finished a “real” song with the Monomachine. Not just a jam or loop or a “track” but an honest-to-goodness song. It did require me to collaborate with someone who helped take the original loop to a different place, though!

I’m kind of torn on MnM. I love the thing but it’s so hard for me, like a mental block, to develop pieces beyond the initial inspired loops. It’s just a little alien to my workflow but I could never come up with some of this things, including this track, without it. I keep thinking I should sell it, now that prices are crazy, and get an Octatrack instead or something.

7 Likes

Ive been thinking the same things for 6 years…

1 Like

And yet we still cling on! I really do love it though. I think I would regret selling it and would never be able to buy back at these prices.

2 Likes

The main reason I would never sell it. Cannot be easily replaced and I am determined to learn it better and get more out of it either now or in 5 years time. If I get into financial difficulty I may sell it then, but otherwise not too worried.

1 Like

OT isn’t really a good substitute for an MNM unless you want a new paradigm. It is a good partner though.

I’m about to start collaborating with a friend on the other side of the planet, via OT project zips. I’ll be sampling my MNM and have high hopes. I think it will be useful to capture inspired sounds in samples, before they twiddle away.

3 Likes

That’s a cool idea. I’ve always try that out with someone where we bounce ideas and samples back and forth until we come up with a complete project.

After two (fairly unfruitful) years of owning the Monomachine and even borrowing it to a friend for half a year in order to decide if I’m selling it or not, I can now say I’m finally, officially in love with this thing.

Three very simple things happened:

1. Really dedicated some time to it and used it standalone.
  2. Found out that interesting and beautiful things tend to happen when I turn the filter width way down and start messing with the other parameters.
  3. Embraced the weird nature of the MnM and gave up trying to make my usual vanilla sounds on it. :laughing:

One day I’ll pair the MnM with the Machinedrum but right now I’m having too much fun jamming on just one of them at a time.

Edit: I should add, I don’t think I’m all that more proficient on the MnM now than I was a month ago when I got it back from a friend. It’s just a matter of changing perspective and turning the knobs with more fervour than before. Plus the fact that I was really underutilizing the LFOs on this before. That’s another place where the MnM magic happens!

13 Likes

Awesome! One of the coolest things about the MnM in my opinion is the assign-menu. Having the option to assign two parameters to be modulated with the pitch info is just so wild in a machine like this.

4 Likes

There’s LOTS to dig into on the MnM, that’s for sure.

I knew it’s the deepest synth I’ve ever had but I’d literally forgotten how many possibilities there are. Like, one can create a cool track using just FM STAT sounds or just the SID engine… Maybe not just VO sounds, though, but I’ll be glad to be proven wrong. :grinning:

2 Likes

Monomachine! <3 Love forever!

3 Likes