Monomachine Fried? Accidentally used MKI power on MKII

Hello,
I have both monomachines and while i was rewiring my setup i accidentally used the mk1 power to power the mk2. I thought I fried it but it looks like the ratings are very close specs 6v 2.8A vs 6v 3A. My mono mk2 won’t turn on now, is there a fuse i could replace and can you get to it or is my mk2 done for? Looking forward to any help

Cant be the case because physics

When i turned it on all the leds lit up for a few seconds which was odd and when i touched the volume it shut off. Then i noticed i used the old power supply. Hasn’t turned on since. Was thinking maybe the power supplies have the + and - swapped? My old power supply is really heavy and the new weighs 10 times as light. Anyone at elektron have some answers?

1 Like

Just a guess but can u check the polarity written on the PSU? Usually its marked on the dascription label on the back of the PSU.

I’d guess a coincidental failure. The voltage is the same, and the machine will only use as much current as it needs. It could be a 15A power supply, and it would be fine. There will also be voltage regulators in the chain, and as long as you don’t exceed the spec for those voltage/heat wise you’re good. There’s not a lot of ways that damage could occur given the supplies in question. You might just let it sit for a while, and try to power it up again. I’d also contact Elektron support as suggested above. Also, good call above on checking the polarity. I doubt Elektron would change that between models, but it’s definitely possible.

Edit: See hurrt’s post below. I didn’t think about one being AC while the other is DC.

According to the FAQ it looks like even though they need the similar voltage and amperage but they aren’t compatible. My MKII PSU says its (+) is at the center but doesn’t say anywhere on my MKI…

Are the MKI and the MKII power supplies compatible?
No. You can harm your unit if you use the wrong PSU.

Power supply:
A switched mode power supply for the MKII units, which allows the units to be used all over the globe without the need of voltage converters. MKI units use an AC power supply. The two power supply types are not compatible.

What are the specifications of the MKI power supply?
AC/AC, 220v (input), 6v (output), 3 ampere (output). The tip: 5.5×2.5x12mm

What are the specifications of the MKII power supply?
The output specification of the MKII power supply is 6 VDC, 3.5 A maximum, 43-60 Hz.The size of the output connector is 5.5×2.5 mm (DC plug, power at center). Input connector: IEC320-C8 (2 prong). An equivalent PSU is an AC to DC adapter, outputs 6-7 VDC, at least 2 A, preferably 3 A, into a 5.5×2.5 mm circular plug with power (+) at centre. Do not use a 3 prong (safety grounded) adapter as this may seriously lower the audio quality.

1 Like

Ah, I didn’t think about AC / DC when I posted. Yes, that’s a problem.

Definitely time to contact support. Could be a dead regulator, fuse, etc. If you’re lucky maybe it’s an MOV. You could try plugging in the correct supply one more time and doing a quick check, but I’d contact support otherwise.

3 Likes

ouch.
AC power to DC machine…
That explains it. Yep, your MK2 is probably dead.
If thats the case, I feel for you. Really sh*t way to loose your gear. This is what you can call bad design, if this is even made possible.
I suggest to go to elektron.se register yourself and file a ticket there. They probably may think of a way to help you. Maybe they know the potential damage and can say if there is way to fix things.

If this wont work out, try to go to your local electronics wizard and tell him that you accidentally fried your DC device with 6V of AC with up to 3 Amps. Bring both of the PSUs. He may laugh at you but he may also be able to help you. Probably. Hope it works out for you…

1 Like

I’m glad they’ve settled down now and go with the same PSU for all current products.

Asinine to keep switching and causing confusion.

FWIW I’ve only ever bought Elektron machines 2nd hand and they’ve always been great about trying to help me through support tickets.

1 Like

Filed a ticket but thinking its done for. Why wouldn’t they at least change the size of the end to stop this from happening. Worst part is I just bought this mkII unused from ebay, it still has the screen protector on it and only made 1 pattern on it before i thought i’d clean up my work area.

1 Like

hei, no reason to give up on this. If you work with gear, these things will happen. Take a break, talk with ppl and see what will they suggest and move on from there.

Seems crazy they didn’t change the plug size when changing from DC to AC between models! Yikes

I’ve run into panic twice not knowing that I plugged the OT psu into the Rytm. In that situation Rytm boots and lights and things work, but it doesn’t make any sound… Luckily that switch up doesn’t damage anything, I checked with support…

Reminds me to put a little color coding or label on the adapters…

Hi,

Were you ever able to fix this? I think I’ve gotten into the exact same problem but for my Octatrack. Also had all the LEDs turn on for a second and then nothing. Still troubleshooting but the AC/DC thing might be the issue as well.

Just wondering how this turned out for you