Mono vs Stereo (panned center): difference?

FX like reverb or delay can introduce some difference between right and left, which makes the original mono sample sound like it’s stereo. Which makes it easier to differentiate what is in the center from what is not.

Apart from this, you shouldn’t have much difference.

On stereo samples (on OT for instance), you have to make sure both left and right are aligned to avoid clicks.

1 Like

thanks. a second reason why I asked it is because I read that in a good mix, you should not have too many stereo signals (but all my synths are stereo synths)

An easy way to check the stereo content of your stuff is to take your L/R recording and subtract one channel from the other, aka. check the “S” of a M/S signal.

Careful not to conflate stereo balance, or panning, with a stereo signal/stereo synth. You can use a stereo synth just fine and have a sexy mix ofwhich even the most anal of audiophiles would approve, just have everything panned to centre.

Stereo signal (L/R) panned to centre is essentially the same as a mono signal.

4 Likes

in a good mix, you should not have phase conflicts between channels in stereo signals.
practically it’s easier to achieve if your source signals are mono.

3 Likes

exactly what I wanted to hear, thank you!

1 Like

Simply panning a stereo signal will not make it “sound mono”. What you need is a device that can reduce the width of the sound.

For example, Ableton Live’s Utility plug-in can reduce or increase the width of an audio signal.

I am sure that most synths which have a stereo output also give you the option of a mono output, normally via connecting to the left output jack only.

That’s a very confusing tip. Wouldn’t you synths be pretty much mono unless you use effects on the signal? Just don’t use effects that make every sound sound huge and your mix will be fine. I think your tip is coming from the angle of: if everything is wide, nothing is wide. Therefore for the mix to have impact and depth, there should be a good contrast.

Another aspect is the phase correlation and mono compatibility. But I’m inclined to believe all your stereo synths would be mono compatible for the most part even with the effects. Just check in mono with a plugin and if your sound nearly disappears, it isn’t mono compatible, but if it is still mostly present, then it is all good. There are various tools that can measure the correlation, izotope’s stereo imager is free and you can use that to check and it is a great mixing tool as well.

2 Likes
1 Like

I’ve been thinking of summing stereo synths to mono to get the most out of the OTs 4 inputs.
Specifically, sending audio from Rytm, Virus, Evolver (and a 303 which is mono anyway) to the OT.
That would allow me to ditch a mixer and use OT transition technique for a live set.

Here’s the dumb question part - if I did this is it the same as panning to centre as @Microtribe described? Will my Virus sound, for example, still have all the stereo width but just be centred, or will everything lose stereo width and be crammed in the centre with the mix sounding like crap?

1 Like

You would have to use 4 THRU tracks on OT to pan the Mono inputs in the center, unfortunately.

You could still add some spatializing with FX,so I’d say soundwise you’d be good.

1 Like

did you already try this?
what kind of cables did you use?

1 Like

Depends. If you pan everything center, you might still lose some stereo modulation from reverbs and modulation fx. Some synths have pan spread for OSCs, some synths even have stereo OSCs, so depends on what is happening in the synth, but best way to just try out. If it sounds good, it is good.

I run my Rytm mono into OT and there is a difference in how the reverb sounds (apparently there is some chorusing or smt like that going on in stereo that is lost in mono - but I actually like it^^).

@LyingDalai yes I could use 1-4 for the synths/inputs, 5-6 for samples, 7 for transition, 8 for master (comp). I was thinking that one of the great things about virus, evolver is the stereo width so I didn’t want to compromise that.

@tendingtropic I haven’t tried it, theory only, but I thought standard Y cable 2xTS to single TS? Or insert cable 2xTS to 1xTRS, unless I’m going to mess anything up by sticking TRS into OT mono input?

Cheers both!

Can’t you just use the left output, simple TS cable?

1 Like

Good idea - I’m already doing that with my Tetra, I think I would lose some of the Evolver output since it has separate delays/filters for L/R?
I’m not sure if I can take the whole output of the Virus & Rytm from just the left, and if so I would I be losing the stereo width?

Not sure if you have seen my post above? I think we were both replying at the same time, so maybe you haven’t seen it.

Anyways, I’d say just try it and compare. You might lose stereo modulation from reverbs and mod fx, not sure if there is anything stereo going on at OSC level?

I have everything hooked up to my patchbay so I can easily A/B between OT, Mixer etc. and DAW input, but OT let you sum inputs, so you could plug both L/R and then switch the thru machine input between AB and A+B. A+B sums the inputs to mono (or CD and C+D) and listen to the result.

I think it also depends on the type of sound. Evolving pads can sound incredible with some stereo fx and/or modulation and if you sum it to mono, it can sound like there’s really an important part missing, percussive sounds might even benefit from running everything in mono. Really depends…

Usually the manual mentions the preferred way to run gear in mono and which cables to use (usually using the left out with TS cable is fine).

1 Like

Thanks @schnork, I guess it’s time for some sonic experimentation!

1 Like

If you’re question relates to preparing for a live set i would not worry to much about stereo unless it’s a performance for a really small audience sitting in front of you between and in front of PA. It’s a relatively large club with a massive sound system mono could even be your friend. Just feed octa’s external inputs mono. If needed Add octa’s fx to widen desired parts sparsely. Just my thoughts. Probably a million opinions about this.

2 Likes

This is what I thought - why take up 2 inputs for stereo if a club system is going to push out mono.
The live set is still a theoretical exercise, it’s true :slight_smile:

1 Like