Mono to stereo octatrack? Spatial use?

Hi there- wondering if I record a mono track into Octatrack will it auto become stereo or do I have to record in both inputs IE A/B or can A turn into A/B? I’m doing a somewhat jank way to get into octatrack to process it through some pedals that the mixer only allows mono. There stereo tracks I’m taking out of UAD arrow headphone jack lol into pedals. If I can configure it to be stereo again after going through one octatrack Input that would be rad. Curious about Spatializer helping there. Will read manual more…
Thanks!

Yes spatialiser might do this and dark reverb also.

Octatrack always records a stereo file, even if a mono signal is sent in. So in the case of a mono signal, you get twin mono. Dont confuse that with, it will convert mono to stereo- it just records a twin mono signal.

If you have a stereo signal going in, then you need a left and right pair of inputs to accept that stereo image.
Spatialiser is wierd. have a play with it and decide for yourself if you like the results or not…
The Dark Reverb is not a true stereo reverb…

So someone correct me if I am wrong but the answer to your questions is a) No. b) Yes. c) No.

Reviving this thread. New member to this forum and new Octatrack user, so hello everybody.
My question is a little different but maybe someone knows…

I sample mono in from my tanzmaus and minilogue. With headphones i get dual mono of the sample but when I plug into my amp and regular speakers the sample is only in one speaker but the reverb is in stereo.

Some hi-fi genius who knows why? Thanks.

Mono samples, when panning is at zero (amp page) should be heard in both speakers.
OTs reverb is pseudo stereo anway (not true stereo, it does not reflect panning of a source), you’ll always here it left and right, even when you hard pan a track.

Doesn’t answer your question, but afaik that’s how it is.

2 Likes

Sounds like you have it planned hard left (or right) but as the reverb is stereo you hear that on both sides.

1 Like

Haha, yeah I assumed @Daninsky made sure the track was not panned, but actually that would be the only explanation.

Me->More coffee. :wink:

1 Like

Thank you but panning is at zero and I do get dual mono with headphones so somehow it must be the way my amplifier processes mono signals?

Do you have DIR(ect) monitoring on the mixer page activated ( DIR>0)? When there is only a signal on A or C direct monitoring will send it only to the LEFT main out.

Maybe you have direct monitoring active and additionally use a thru machine or recorder+flex with reverb set to completely wet? This would explain it.

Make sure to turn off direct monitoring when using a thru machine or a recorder+flex.

1 Like

It’s been a while since I had an OT, but does direct monitoring use dual mono for headphones - I seem to remember it being only left or right depending on the input being used? That’s the bit that’s confusing me here about the question. Headphones stereo, main outs not.

That’s indeed strange.

@Daninsky: how is tanzmaus/minilog connected to the OT? How are your mixer settings and the track settings? Without a more detailed description of your setup we can only guess what’s happening.

How are main left and right connected? Both sides using the same cable type (TS/TRS)?

Beside direct monitoring the OT always converts incoming signals to stereo (dual mono) unless you sample from A&B and there is only a signal on A or B. Are you sure your headphones are monitoring the main outs and not cue (also on the mixer page)?

1 Like

@Daninsky, you can easily test @tnussb’s suggestion by switching the cables over on the OT. If the full signal switches from one speaker to another, then it’s a cable issue :+1:

This forum seems amazing! Thanks everybody. So no external gear connected now. It’s allready sampled in the octatrack. No thru tracks activated, dir volume in mixer is zero. Also I am using the headphones output to connect with my amp because I don’t have two cables. Only one cables which is a single male on one end and two males in the other end.

Maybe the cable is the problem but then why do I get the effects in stereo?
Maybe I did something wrong in the sampling process?

1 Like

The latter, I think. So maybe you sampled from A and B together, but because only A had signal, then you get nothing on the right side. Then you’ll only hear the reverb on the right. Does that make sense? Only sample from A in future.

2 Likes

Check the sample in the audio editor.
Make sure you’re getting a stereo view (edit-> change view lets you view only l/r or stereo).

That’s exactly what I did wrong, I sampled A B even if it was only connected to A. Hmm fixable or just redo?

2 Likes

Yey, we got there in the end! Glad you found the solution. Now you can get back to the music :slightly_smiling_face:

Edit: And, yep, I think a redo is necessary, unless the others know of a possible solution?

Thanks again!

Actually, yes, you can resample from the left side only :ok_hand:

Thanks but will redo to learn more and save tracks!

1 Like