Monitors / Mixing / Fun

Hi,

I’m looking to improve my listening experience for my hardware setup. I’m currently using garbage speakers and some Bose noise cancelling headphones. I play with synths for fun and the creative outlet helps me stay balanced. I’m looking for some monitors that sound good and are fairly accurate, but also fun to play on, with enough bass to handle 808 kicks and Moog bass. Hoping to get some that I’ll be happy with for a while. My setup is currently crammed into a corner and I can almost never play loud, so something that sounds good at lower volumes is ideal. I might consider upgrading my headphones too, but focusing on monitors for now. I’ve been leaning towards KRK 5s or 7s, but I’d love some recommendations. Techno-ish music, stereo out from my Octatrack (which is currently my mixer). Normally I’d be happy to go listen in person, but it’s not currently easy to do so. I’ve read through some threads here before, but I’m hoping that I might get some advice specific to my situation.

JBL LSR 305. Read some reviews and then just get them. Punch way higher than their price point. Using mine right now.

2 Likes

Thanks for the recommendation. Looking into these now.

I guess you are on a tight budget. I would go for second hand monitors, something like Genelec 8020, Adam A7X, Focal Alpha6… You would have something way better than the entry level.
At the price/size you should have decent bass but do not expect to have subs.

In addition you could check the AKG’s K371 or K361. They are amazingly good headphones and will extend the bass range you would lack. (They are way accurate than the DT770, and easily go down an extra octave)

3 Likes

Hey - I’d second the above recommendation for Adam A7X - I’ve used them before, they’re great, but even second hand they’re pricey.

I use Adam T7V and I love them! They sound much better than you’d think for the price, plenty of low end etc. But I wouldn’t put them right next to a wall because they’re rear ported… (which is something to consider with whatever options you’re looking at).

I think Cali audio are designed by an ex-Adam guy IIRC, and they’re front ported, budget friendly, and get good reviews, although I’ve not tried them myself.

Also, check out where the power switches are - in a cramped space, you might want switches on the front of the monitors for convenience!

Hi, thank you for the suggestions. I’ll look into these and the headphones. I’m trying to keep it under $700 CAD for the pair. I often do purchase used gear, but I think this time I prefer to buy new, as I would like to be able to return if necessary.

Yes, I think front ported I’d probably better for me.

2 Likes

There is also the Yamaha HS5, I guess they are more neutral than the KRK. They come with selectable switches (+/-2dB) to attenuate or boost the bass and trebles

Pair of speakers or speakers + headphones ?

I’m a big fan of the original iLoud monitors, punching WAY above their weight, but there’s not a lot of bass extension below 70hz. Still a super revealing and enjoyable setup for a smaller space.

If 700 CAD is your budget you have a lot open to you… I would get the best second-hand Genelec, Focal or Adam monitors you can get in that range.

Speakers

So smaller monitors from the above brands would be better than going with a slightly larger pair from KRK.

1 Like

In my opinion yes.

1 Like

Then get some headphones to check bass?

2 Likes

If they’re the right headphones then yes, it’s again a question of how much you want to spend.

A bit of a cliche but I’ve always found my car (OEM system) a great reference to check low end also, since I know it’s response so well to other artists’ tracks. If the low end is muddy or has wacky frequencies it comes through. Having a few reference tracks at the ready to A/B is very helpful (Cabaret Nocturne’s “Dance or Die” is one example for me…)

I’m pretty happy with the Kali 8" monitors I got recently–the smaller ones should be in your budget and are also supposed to be good. I find the response to be pretty neutral, but you can crank the low end if you want. I decided against the KRKs which are in a similar price range for the reasons mentioned here already (although I did recently order a KRK sub).

2 Likes

I’ve had the Yamaha HS5s and currently use the Jbl 305s now. I’d say the 305s are more accurate with low end imo. Extend a bit more. Great monitors for the money. But honestly if you are really looking for low end I’d get the 308s. But beware. They are huge! Have them in a room at work and they are monsters.

3 Likes

Going to just say again, lsr 305. Best monitors I have used under $1k a speaker. Highly, highly recommended. Plenty of bass in them too.

1 Like

My car stereo features a muddy low end, no mids, and tinny highs. Awful.

A friend recommended the focal 50s. Considering them, but I’d probably have to save longer.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m thinking that something a little more compact would be better.