Modular Techno w/ Heat

Hi,

This is basically the first tune I ever put up on Soundcloud… Let me know what you think, every comment helps !
At 8 minutes it runs a bit long, but you know how it is when you have your hand on that cutoff knob…

https://soundcloud.com/tumulishoomaroom/atc-sidechain

This started as a exploration of the modulation capabilities of a newly acquired Just Friends module.

Here are the more extensive patch notes :

Early explorations of the modulation capabilities of Just Friends in transcient mode, triggered by Noise Engineering Numeric Repetitor. The envelopes from Just Friends are modulating the Cursus Iteritas and the Loquelic Iteritas as well as the Cwejmann MMF-6. Some outs of the MMF-6 go in the mixer, one goes though the Ultrafold for further mangling. Voltage Block provides a simple pitch sequence to Loquelic and everything runs though the Verbos Amplitude and Tone Controller for final fuzz and a lovely master low pass filter. I also sent an envelope from Quadra to the ATC to create a sort of ducking effect.

Digitakt takes care of the percussion duties.
El Capistan for the tape delay and Space for the reverb.

Played and recorded live a couple times, I kept the take I liked best. Light EQ in Logic.

Too bad there isn’t a general Digitakt techno thread like the one for Hip-Hop !

6 Likes

Nice loop - Did the track change or evolve at all during the first 7 minutes?

Apart from variations on the drums with mutes and whatnot the modular is pretty monolithic save from live tweaking of the master cutoff and a few parameters on the oscillators. I have a sequential switch coming soon which will help introduce more modulation variation. It’s also to be noted that I quite like monolithic !

1 Like

Making monotonous music is far from easy , as every detail is magnified and there is no fancy trickery to cover things up … i’d say it’s a good first try, keep working on that groove .

3 Likes

Entirely agree. I’ve been listening to a lot of Gas/Maurizio/Deepchord etc… these days and it’s amazing how they can keep your interest up for 12min with basically the same loop and just shifting things in the background without you noticing until you start to pay closer attention. It’s an aim I’d like to set for myself (shifting things in the background, not reaching Maurizio type of excellence).

Anyway thanks a lot for your comment. It’s unpatched now (though I have a couple notes if I want to go back to it) but I’ll keep working in that direction. Thanks for listening !

A quick new one to try out a new sample player on the modular : it’s the thing doing all the noise in the background, run through a modulated stereo delay. Loads of stereo action in this one actually.

It’s really more of a “test” than a track, but I’ve had so much fun recording it that I though what the hell, lets put it up.

https://soundcloud.com/tumulishoomaroom/tg-one

Patch notes for those interested :
It’s basically just the TG through an Ultrafold for some grit and the fantastic little DPLR delay from the ever excellent WMD/SSF collab + a touch of Loquelic Iteritas drenched in Space. The rest is the Digitakt (the chords are from my friend’s JU-06 I sampled the other day).

This is the “percussion” card on the TG One, you could probably do an entire show with a couple of these. Oh also it’s in random sequence mode, which means that a new sample is played every trigger, selected randomly.

Thank you for listening !

4 Likes

Here’s a new one, the first I recorded with the Heat. And damn it’s impressive ! I’m using it on the master bus here, Enhancing everything so that it’s a tad more warm :slight_smile:

Snippet :

Full track :

Digitakt does all the drums and the modular does all the rest.

11 Likes

Great stuff - gooey, dark, bit crunchy. Nice vibes, great ratings!

1 Like

Thank you very much man, that’s greatly appreciated :pray:

The first one was not balanced so well IMO. With a distorted BD it might sound as the climax of a live set. But other than that it is too much in yo face. Depends on taste. The last snippet was excellent. Will listen to the the full track tomorrow while driving :oncoming_automobile:

1 Like

Would be nice if you could enable download on soundcloud :slight_smile:

Thank you for you feedback, it’s very appreciated. I agree with you the first one could be better. It was my first ever track… The TG one is just meh, I was excited about this module and rushed it.

I’m very new to this, I bought an OP1 a year and a half ago to make ambient and now here I am with a modular doing this techno ahah. I have a lot of fun and I’m really able to do what I want since I have the Digitakt. Such a fun machine.

Again thanks both of you for listening !

Ps: Download enabled now !

2 Likes

Here’s a new one :

Snippet :

Full track :
http://soundcloud.com/tumulishoomaroom/voltage-block

I set out to explore the power of the Voltage Block and modulate the crap out of the Cursus Iteritas. This ended up being a little different, a bit more mental if you wish, trying to reach peak intensity of a groove using just modulation and lots of manual wiggling.

Tip Top TG One does the verby snare.
Digitakt does the kick and some hats, Analog Heat for the final luster.

1 Like

Hello,

New sounds up on Soundcloud :

This started as an exploration of the Tip Top TG One, using the longer samples card, turning it into a great ambient/drone machine. Many sounds to be found in there with added effects and modulation.

The Cursus and Loquelic Iteritas turn into alien-is voices, the Digitakt still does the drums and the Analog Heat is on the Master warming things up.

Full track :

3 Likes

Well, I just did this in a couple of hours while exploring the looping mode on the TG One. F*cking fantastic module. I quite like the dubby vibe in this one :

Full Track :

5 Likes

i dig the 5am warehouse vibe off your stuff.
nice

2 Likes

Thank you very much that’s a great compliment to me :grin:

2 Likes

New one, a bit more outdoors than warehouse this time :

Full track :

Can you tell I listen to Deepchord and Gas a lot ?

3 Likes

I really like your tunes. real nice n loose feel but with that thumping kick in the background driving em on. yep, does it for me.
keep em comin :ok_hand:

1 Like

Thank you very much man ! Deeply appreciated :slight_smile: