Modular cherry, makenoise

I’m not quite ready to take plunge into the seeming black hole that I modular… However I have been looking at maybe dipping my toes…

I have a few sound sources, ms20mini, minilogue, Digitakt and a quadraverb for fx. But I have been looking at doing some serious more sound mangling.

I had been looking at make noise morphagene! I read that it would pair well with some mod source like Maths.
So I was thinking of getting these 2 as my first modules. Maybe an expert sleepers too so I can connect to VCV rack.

Any one have any experience with these know if it’s too much for a first module or if I’d be better starting on something else or maybe get different mod source?

I reckon I’ll wait for behringer to announce a small skiff at NAMM (hopefully) as the price on most cases seem insane.

Cheers

Bought a morphagene as my first module and just filled out my skiff. Just recently got a maths actually and that shit is actually mad complicated without any understanding of the modular world but there’s plenty of docs and tutorials for maths.

With that said the morphagene is a beautiful instrument and I don’t think I’d ever part with it. Very intuitive and easy to find your way with it if you have any understanding of samplers.

1 Like

If you want some inspiration, Make Noise recently released a system named the Tape & Microsound Music Machine which is centered around the modules you were talking about.
A quick breakdown:

• Wogglebug is a source of randomness, noise and clocks
  • Maths is a modulation source, basically two cycling envelopes coupled with very useful utilities such as attenuverters, logic, summing, gates, clock dividing, etc
  • Morphagene is a sample player
  • QPAS is a stereo multi mode filter
  • Mimeophon is a delay/reverb
  • XOH is a mixer and output module

As asual in modular, there are the module you want, and then some modules you need, utility modules such as mixers, attenuaters, inverters, VCAs, logic and others are not the modules you usually want in order to make the most of your other modules. They allow you to manipulate the modulations you want to send around your system. What’s cool with Maths is that it contains both your modulation sources AND your utilities. It is a complex module to learn because its logic and vocabulary is very “modular” and remote from “mainstream” synthesizer talk. However, it is very very rich and incredibely useful as shown by this illustrated manual:

http://w2.mat.ucsb.edu/mat276n/resources/systems/CREATE_teachingSynth/manuals/8c_Maths2013-V1.11-printable.pdf

Anyway, if you want a sound mangling system, maybe take this Make Noise one as a blueprint: Sample player, Filter, Effect processor, modulation source, some kind of randomness, and utilities and VCAs to control everything

1 Like

My advice would be, try to figure out as clear as possible, what you want to achieve using the Morphagene in the first place. There are a couple of interesting use cases. Then you can think about the signal flow (audio and CV) and which other modules are needed to get there.

This may take some time of research, but can give you exactly, what you wanted at reasonable cost. One trap we can get cought in is having no clear idea and buy and try and swap … and buy and try and swap … :wink: It may be fun at the beginning, but at the end there will be much money spent for swapping, rather than to have a working instrument.

3 Likes

MATH is a great module, but Wogglebug would be better choice to pair with Morphagene, if you start only with two modules.
In this setup Math will gives you primarily clock, two lfo or simple envelope generators, when Wogglebug is full of random sources, also sample and hold random to interact with EOSG, performance feature with freeze button and of course clock.
And I can recommend to get both later)

1 Like