Modular Audio Processor

Hi All!

So I got this idea which i’m sure is unoriginal. But I was thinking, about trying to build a small modular rack that’s just for processing sounds. I’ve been processing sounds through OP-1 and AK effects, which has been awesome! But I’m sure there’s so much more you can do with modular analog filters and effects.

Only problem is I have no idea how modular systems work. Does anyone have any tips or recommendations for building such an FX rack?

Instead of modular you can get a bunch of pedals. As fun and cheaper. Zoom 70 cdr is a cheap way to start.

1 Like

Thanks! Whatever the noises are at the beginning of that video that sound like random synth notes being dropped in water, I LOVE IT. and yea pedals are for sure cheaper and more user friendly. I’ve order a Cimmerian Caves unit which should be in within a month or so. But I know i’ll eventually end up building some sort of modular synth or effects unit once I am able to understand the ints and outs of it.

One thing to consider is you need to get your audio up to modular levels. You need an amplifier of sorts (a mixer wont be enough).
And then you need an attenuator or a compressor maybe, to get your levels back down.
Then decide if you want to process stereo audio, there are alot of dual modules.
So it starts to add up quite quickly. If you can solder, there are a few kits around to keep costs down a bit.

Take look at Bastl’s Bob and Bobek. Even if you decide not to get a Bastl system, it will give you some ideas of what modules could go into a modular audio processor.

http://www.bastl-instruments.com/modular/bob-bobek/

You could also take a look at MakeNoise’s audio processing system for more ideas:
http://www.makenoisemusic.com/synthesizers/system-concrete

OH MAN. is it possible to use the Morphagene by make noise as a standalone unit?

I imagine something like that could get me pretty far and I could use the CV from my AK to control some of the parameters. I could be completely off base, but does that sound about right?

The Morphagene will still require eurorack power. There’s small systems like the lunchbox, but the Morphagene won’t work as a standalone thing.

Beyond that, modular comes alive with lots of modulation. The CV from the A4/AK would get you started, but the fun comes when you’re getting way off the beaten path of step sequencing into randomness and interactivity. The more modules you get, the more fun it is. Since you have the AK, imagine how much more interesting the joystick would be if you could control it by semi-random sources, and what that could do for everything it is controlling as a result. Modulating all the things with all the things is incredibly cool and one of the biggest advantages of modular over more fixed formats, and it’s worth planning for bigger in order to build a limitless system. You could fill 9U with samplers, filters, and waveshapers and not blink, so it’s worth taking some time to learn about the options and what you really want.

Thanks for the insight. I’m gonna take some time today to do some research. So many things I have to learn!

I do something similar and have a small 3U rack. I use Reaktor 6 and process audio and CV using an Expert Sleepers ES-3 which is connected via ADAT to an RME Baby-face Pro. I have two filters, Mutable Instruments Clouds plus Warps (with parasites firmware) and Mutable Instruments Braids. Then also a few utility modules plus an ES-6 for returning audio. I wouldn’t bother too much about reverbs and delays as the guitar pedals are often better (Strymon) I would also get a sound source to act as an FM modulator (I use braids). Clouds is brilliant but needs a lot of modulating. Warps is the thing that adds madness and the filters are soooo much better than software versions. I think as long as you have great filters and good ‘mess shit up’ modules like warps and clouds you don’t really need that much more. Reaktor 6 is soooooo good. I figure that I have a 9U+ rack through using Reaktor. The only thing in Reaktor I don’t really like are the filters and it’s better to have a hardware reverb but everything​ else is equivalent to hardware.

1 Like

I’ve been hearing about reaktor and how it works well with modular synths. I’ll add this to the list of things to research today. You all are a huge help!

No, because it requires power. At minimum you will need a power supply.

You will probably also want a case to mount it in.

Then you will need a module preamp your guitar input signal to modular level.

Then you will probably want a module to provide modulation CV to the Morphagene, as Accent stated.

That’s why I suggested you look at the Bastl and Make Noise systems - take a look at what modules were used for input, for modulation, and what power supplies are used.

1 Like

Yea it looks like that tape real module has a built in preamp for regular noise levels. I’m thinking I get a small case, PSU, and one or two other filters to manipulate the sound further and that could be a fun start.

Did some more research into the Bob and Bobek kits, I see why you pointed me in that direction. excellent starting point, I think I’ll pick up a bobek or the modules for it at least with one module from Make noise and that’s more than enough to get started with.

Cool. I was thinking of going in this direction myself - pick up a separate case, to have more room for more modules, then get the Bob/Bobek modules individually.

That was before I got my Cocolase revived.