MODOR NF-1m - mini Digital Synth

I just published my first synth how-to video about sound editing on the NF-1m and how its compact interface works. In summary - it’s not too different from working on an Elektron box, except most of the knobs are pots instead of endless encoders.

The video also shows the shortcut that was added in OS003 of the NF-1m that allows you to edit the FM Carrier and Modulator values without having to dig into the menu system.

7 Likes

I’m considering adding one of these for a live set up but I’m split between the Modor NF-1m and a Micromonsta. I have a Novation Peak and DX11 in the studio (which I don’t want to take out live) so I’m trying to figure out which one brings more to the table considering the other polys I have. I was thinking that the Micromonsta might too similar to the Peak but it’s also several hundred dollars cheaper than the Modor. Thoughts?

those of you who are sending program/bank changes to the NF-1m with the DT, are you experiencing a behavior where you’re only able to scroll through odd numbered / even numbered program changes?

it’s kinda making this a deal breaker as it’s essential for me to change program changes in a straightforward manner…like, i don’t wanna have to scroll through half of the presets to get just to get to a preset that’s directly after the one i’m on.

anyhoo, lemme know if you’re experiencing that same, cheers.

and i’ve since isolated the issue to the kenton merge 4…it’s only the nf-1m that’s responding this way, all of my other devices are responding to program changes just fine when they flow through the merge-4.

if anyone has these two pieces of gear, would love to hear someone else’s experience.

Thanks for the video. Curious to know how you feel about editing the NF1m now? It looks a little finicky, is it frustrating to use in anyway?

First i thought the same - fiddly menudiving galore, not intuitive. As it landed here i was pleasant suprised after one hour. Month later i can say it is quite stiaght forward for such a little beast, but im still not good at remembering the destinations of the hardwired ENVs and LFO`s…

overall very fine to program

2 Likes

Hi there, just opened an account in here although I am another long term reader in here :wink:
So I have had the nf1m for a little while now and really love its clever interface and vast sound sculpting possibilities.
However there is (this) one thing I can’t get it to do, maybe some of you can help me achieve it:
How can I create different ADSRs for the levels of each oscillator? I know theres envelope 4, which is the amp for all osc’s, but I want each oscillator to behave independently …
Am I overseeing the obvious here?
Thanks a lot for any help with this!
Best,
Gus

It is and isn’t obvious. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Obvious:

To assign an envelope to modify the level of an oscillator, setup a ‘wire’ in the modulation matrix. E.g. “WIRE 1: source: ENV1 +63 dest: Osc1Lvl”

Less obvious:

To hear the affect of level modulations, you will probably need to lower the oscillator’s level parameter, to zero typically. This is because the modulation ‘wires’ are additive/subtractive. So in the setting above, the envelope’s values are added to the oscillator’s level parameter. If your oscillator’s level parameter is already at full, adding the envelope’s values will have no affect; there’s no headroom for the level parameter to go any higher. (Alternatively, you could set the wire’s modulation to -63, to subtract from the oscillator’s level, but then you need to imagine your envelopes upside down… :upside_down_face: )

Obvious, but easy to forget:

ENV4 multiplies the levels of all oscillators. E.g. if an individual oscillator has a wire that gives it a fast attack, but ENV4 is set to a slow attack, the overall level of the patch will have a slow attack.

Not so obvious:

This one always throws me: The arguably mis-named ‘MOD’ parameter modifies the waveshape of each waveform type in different ways, but by default, has nothing to do with other modulations in the matrix or elsewhere. On the NF-1, envelopes 1-3 are ‘hardwired’ to the ‘MOD’ parameter of oscillators 1-3. (And, the affect of each envelope on each oscillator’s MOD parameter is multiplied by each oscillator’s ‘ENV’ parameter.) So, unless you’re starting from an INIT patch, you might want to check the MOD and ENV parameter on each oscillator in question, and set them to zero, so that the waveform isn’t changing shape while you’re modulating it’s level; unless that’s what you want!

Obvious until it’s not obvious:

The 7-stage envelopes can confuse things if you’re not expecting them. When doing complex modulation, I usually start with them at standard ADSR shape (L1 & L2 to full, and T1 to zero.) to keep things simple, at first anyway.

Hope that helps!

4 Likes

Thank you so much for this detailed reply. It has not only solved the issue, but enhanced my understanding of the instrument a lot!!

tytytytytytyty :wink:

very glad you replied so quick and clear.
best
Gus

2 Likes

The nf-1m and the eurorack modules are going out of production if anyone’s interested in getting one.

The nf1m is well worth it if anyone’s on the fence; it’s a great synth.

How do you know this? Will the NF-1 still be produced?

http://www.modormusic.com/
OUR NF-1M AND EURORACK MODULES ARE AT THEIR END OF PRODUCTION… SALE OF THE LAST COMB FILTER AND NOISY OSC MODULES AT REVERB!

As far as I know the NF-1 is still in production, hopefully for a long time as its a brilliant synth. The website doesn’t mention anything new about the nf-1 though.

1 Like

NF-1 is ace. I almost sold it to buy some thing else recently. Truth is I hadn’t spent time with it properly, discovered the looping envelopes and now I’m really digging into it. I think the Modor interface designs are really well thought out and innovative.

3 Likes

There is a software update on the site I believe.

It’s been there some time now, this update. The nf1 is a fantastic synth indeed!