Modern solution to sidechain kick?

Hello everyone,

Forgive me if this has been brought up recently.

Im curious within the last year or so, with new updates and possible new methods if anyone has figured out a way to properly isolate the kick from rest of the tracks to sidechain outside of the digitakt.

Im trying to figure out how to side chain my kick on my Digi with an outboard compressor. I have my digitakt going into a Mackie mixer with two other drum machines and two synths.

Pan the kick hard left and everything else hard right. The Digis only have the two outputs, for better or worse.

1 Like

Itd be great if we could selectively route tracks to the compressor sort of like the FX block for Syntakt. Then just route all but kick to compressor and set kick as s/c input

5 Likes

This is so annoying!!!
A sidechain-compression-feature, but no possibility to unroute the sidechain-signal from the compressor. This makes absolutely no sense.

Makes me think about letting my DT go for a groovebox with a proper sidechain compressor (tr8s, deluge…) or a groovebox with at least additional outputs so i can use my alesis3630. :frowning:

1 Like

If you use an external compressor you could filter the input signal from the dt so only the deep kick-frequencies will affect the compressor. Ofcourse it only works if you don’t have other bass sounds on the dt… But yeah, that’s a feature i really miss from my TR8, being able to easily sidechain other gear.

Yep, it’s weird that the sidechain source also gets processed by the compressor. There is one workaround for this, but it involves a DAW. In the routing settings on the DT, you can remove the kick track from the Main outs, and the compressor can still use the kick track as sidechain source (even if you can’t hear the kick). Then you can grab the main outs and the kick track and put them on two separate channels in the DAW. Would be better if you could just unroute the sidechain signal from the compressor like you said.

Was going to post exactly this.

2 Likes