Modern day tape players / recorders

Yea, I want one too, I am kind of waiting for a cassette only version because the other bases are more than covered…

1 Like

For my needs, this one will replace the (aging) CD player in the studio, plus give me a quick and convenient means to do some short tape runs. I don’t really need a USB/MP3 player/recorder in the studio. On the other hand, I think it will make a convenient way to play stuff I get from Bandcamp on my home stereo system. Not cheap to buy two of 'em, though.

1 Like

Yea, if we are in our new place I will move this one forward for the living room casual audio setup, it would be easier if they stayed around 250-300EUR to persuade my wife though… this is a little steep for what it is.

1 Like

I think the warped vinyl has a lot going on, more versatile. The zvex is quite unique, it has a sound quality I really enjoy in that it can loop and never becomes fatiguing. The hiss can be too much if you set it wrong. I sometimes have it on an aux send from the mixer when I’m messing around.

TASCAM 202ᴍᴋVII review by VWestlife channel in youtube

I was wondering about this too, are people cruising around these days with walkmans again and a bag full of tapes?

It’s cool to see Tapes being back and it’s a nice little DIY way of doing a release. But it does make me wonder… I mean I don’t even have a tape deck I’d have to go buy something.

Even cars don’t really have them anymore, that’s probably the place I used to listen to tapes the most.

I’m probably gonna end up with some old second hand mono shed radio cassette style thing.

Though that’s a funny thought now I’m actually thinking I should get a cassette player installed in my car lol

1 Like

So I’ve been on the hunt for a tape four track for a while, but I’m always put off by concerns over the age of the unit and maintenance.

I recently came across one of these cassette decks, and was wondering if it would make for a modern day alternative.

There’s no multitracking of course, but it does allow you to overdub. Also, I see pitch control (which could be interesting) and not only can you record from USB to the computer to make digital copies, but the sampling frequency and bit depth are selectable from 8k to 48kHz and 8 or 16 bit.

For people more knowledgeable about recording to tape, what do you think about this as a studio tool for recording stuff to tape and then back to digital?

Depends on the price really, if it’s over $400 then you can get more interesting stuff on the vintage market. Personally I’d rather have multitracking and EQ than onboard conversion (redundant for most people here)

1 Like

Yeah I’m pretty sure those are mediocre at best.

As @nfim said better off going for a vintage multitrack, you can get a decent one for less than that one costs, and it will sound and perform a lot better.

Tascam424 mk1 is a pretty good model, a lot of people go for the mk2 or mk3 which are more expensive, but the mk1 has 3 speeds, the mk2 and mk3 only have 2 speeds.

3 Likes

Thanks, that’s what I figured. I’ll keep my eyes open.