Models:cycles to expand the rig?

Hi everybody
I am an happy digitakt and digitone owner.
However I would like to expand further the rig specially for drums…the digitakt is great (love it) but sometimes I use a lot of the tracks to load samples and only few are left for drums…
Might the models cycles be a good machine for that.?
I would keep it as the main drum unit. The digitakt will be more for samples and the digitone for bass , pads and leads…
What do you think?
Thanks

While the Model Cycles would give you a small boost in polyphony/tracks and take some pressure off of the Digitakt, the sounds are a bit limited. You may grow tired of only having access to FM drum sounds. Other options are the MC-101 which will add a lot of polyphony including 16 track drum kits on a single channel and the Roland TR-8S or 6S. With the update to OS 2 on the TR-8S Roland added FM drums to the virtual analog and sampled drums.

Don’t get me wrong, I use a Model Cycles with my Digitakt and Digitone, but I use it for those specific FM sounds. For standard drum tracks I prefer to use a Roland MC.

2 Likes

I am thinking the same (owning a M:C). I’d rather have a Roland MC-/TR-X than the M:C.

1 Like

ARmkii…
Would be expanding the rig…for drums…

MC you will end up sampling into the DT and using up DT tracks anyway…it gets limited and you want to mess with the sound more, filter especially…

I have the same relationship to my MC as i do with my DFAM, its great to sketch ideas but they always need taking out of the unit for further processing to be realised or used in tracks. If you have a DN i would say that samples of the DN used on the DT are 100 times better than anything MC can currently do.

MC is a cool little couch machine though, i recently went away for work for 3 days and was greatfull for a portable little grove box i could play in my down time…this is why i keep it around, but expansion is only going to come from more complexity, not less…sometime track count means nothing if you have to add additional processing to make those tracks workable…

Not dissing the MC, its just that you used expansion in the tread title…and as cool as the MC is i dont see it as an expansion on the kit you already have…just my opinion though

You are right. However the AR is slightly out of budget at the moment.
Is the mk1 good too? Maybe I could save up and approach a second hand one…