Model:samples monthly challenge #1

Hey guys,

We are starting a monthly model:samples competition!

• Use ONLY the 6 samples given (link below)
  • Process them ONLY in the model:samples
  • Create as many patterns as you wish with them
  • Upload your creation in a youtube video (no soundcloud or else)
  • Post the link in this post (or in the Facebook Groups)

Link to the samples:

https://we.tl/t-dAaMjdiMOl

Deadline: 2021. 01. 24. (sunday)

We cant wait to to see how you proceed and use your gear,
HAVE FUN and be creative!

→ All video will be added to the dedicated youtube playlist

18 Likes

I don’t have M:S but I love the concept of monthly challenge :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Would you consider to open the challenge to Digitakt users?

OK, I’ll go first. :grimacing:

9 Likes

I gave a first try during the weekend. I have found it is very hard for me to play M:S without my MonoStation :grin:… but I think I will post something during the next days

@zzlotss The download link is dead. Is it possible to put it up again? I was just about to start :sunglasses:

there you go: msmc 2021 01 – Google Drive

2 Likes

sorry for the late response, we try to focus on the m:s only :confused:

yeay! and with that the playlist has been created :smiley:

thanks for the submission, keep on going guys, you still have time!

3 Likes

Here is my contribution to this 1st challenge :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Very nice, I have only loaded the monthly samples, but this sounds very close to what I think one can do with these samples. If you want some critique, I think the first pattern was a bit long, the intro, but once we got through that, you really put it together! Good job! :skull:

1 Like

All samples have been processed within the M:S only. But I had to add some EQ after recording the jam, I hope that’s within the challenge rules?

6 Likes

Sorry, I have tried but I am not satisfied with the result

I have found I cannot enjoy making music if I don’t have a nice kick :flushed: and I have failed browsing that 6 samples, playing with sample length, etc… Haven’t found a nice sounding kick for my ears :-1:t3:

Waiting for next challenges :+1:t3:

You should’ve processed the samples only in M:S, but no problem :smiley:
cool jam though, added to the playlist

1 Like

Check, the original samples were been loaded into the M:S and altered within the M:S only. Just did a little mastering on the final result after the video recording, the bassdrum was a bit too heavy… :wink:

Still sunday in funland Finland, here´s my effort. I did not really like the samples, but had an idea of what could be my kind of sound from them. I also didn´t do the “proof of samples”, but I below I explain my tweaks, so You can try them yourself:

T1 = 106 pad, full 64 steps, two trigs (C & Bb) a perfect 32 apart, full decay, pitch -12
T2 = FWRD Door 05, some lopass
T3 = FWRD Exhaust, lot of hipass, reverb & a lot of delay, sample start at 5, deacay 100
T4= FWRD Switch, pitch -6, hipass, reverb & a lot of delay, dist down to 40
[hated these last two]
T5 = Hypnotic Synth, pitch -5, reverb + delay, reverse, sample length 20, 12 steps, each step starting at the next even twenty (sample start on 1=0, 2=20, 3=40 etc) + every step chance at 9%
T6 = SynthLoop_G = biggest thing here is sample length at 1, and sample start at 49 + repeat on. This is kind of cheating, but since it´s a feature on our beloved machines, I thought i just use it. Gives more of a monophonic bass-synth sound. LFO to Freq to give that nice sweep in-n-out.

3 Likes

It is still Sunday in my time zone so Here is my jam…hope it’s still on.

6 Likes

neat!

Thanks !!!

This sounds fun!
I’ll join the February carnival if there is one :slight_smile:

1 Like