Model: Samples midi out won’t trigger synth

Hi, having issues with my MS tempo syncing with my synth (Roland Se-02, if that matters). I’m looking to use the MS as the main clock and the Se-02 as the slave. Looking for the two sequences to run at the same tempo. At the moment I press play on the MS the sequence runs but the sequence isn’t triggered at all on the se-02. Even when the play button is on.

I have a midi cable with the Elektron adapters connecting the two. The MIDI OUT/THRU port on the MS to the ‘trigger in’ port on the Se-02.

My midi settings on the MS are:

Sync

Clk In: OFF
Clk Out: ON
PCH In: OFF
PCH Out: ON

Ports

Imp from: M + U
Out to: MID
Out Pol: STD
Out/Thru: OUT

On the Se-02 the track’s sync settings are set to trg: trigger in. Both the MS and Se-02 are using midi channel 1.

Thanks in advance, hope that made sense, I’m pretty new to this x

I bet you have to enable “MOUT” in the track settings.

Press [FUNC] + [TRACK] to access the TRACK SETUP menu. Press [TRACK] + [T1–6] to select the track to which you want to change the settings. Use the LEVEL/DATA knob to navigate and change the parameter settings.

8.4.2 MOUT
Will, when checked, send the tracks NOTE, VELOCITY, and TRIG LENGTH sequencer data to the Model:Samples MIDI OUT for control of external MIDI devices. The data are sent on the track’s MIDI channel set in the CHANNELS menu. For more information, please see “11.3.3 OUT CHAN” on page 39.
If MOUT is checked the following functions also sends MIDI data:
• PADS The [T1–6] pads sends MIDI note data.
• TRIG KEYS The [TRIG] keys sends MIDI note data in CHROMATIC mode.
• MUTE, activating/deactivating mutes sends MIDI.
• TRACK PARAMETER and FX knobs sends MIDI data on their set channels.
• If MOUT is checked, the track sends the sequencer data both externally over MIDI and
internally to the tracks sample.
• Only the sequencer data for the NOTE, VEL, and LEN parameters are sent over MIDI. For more information, please see “8.8 TRIG NOTE MENU” on page 25.

Unfortunately I have MOut selected on all 6 tracks and still no joy

I did not read your post carefully AT ALL! MOUT doesn’t apply to what you’re trying to do AT ALL! Apologies!

This is your issue. You need to be plugged into the MIDI IN port on the SE-02!

3 Likes

Nice one! I’ll try it when I get home

I got some help recently trying something similar… Maybe this helps

Maybe you’d change the channel for Program Changes too

If you have the track muted it mutes the sequencer but not the note on (on the MS) are you sure that wasn’t the case? It happens…

+1 for the Polarity setting…in both cases I’ve encountered that problem, messing with that did the trick.

1 Like

Hey i have same problem cant sequence mother 32 can help someone? i have turned on Mout on all 6 track but it doesnot works

Have you tried changing the polarity settings in the M:S? As others have pointed out that could be the issue. I know I’ve had to change that setting on mine before.

Failing that can you check with another instrument to see if that responds to the midi out from the M:S.

Welcome to the forum BTW!

1 Like

Thanks for fast replay and worm welcome.
Havent tryed another instrument but will try just one thing i cant understand how i can setup channels in M:S. im using mother 32 on midi channel 1 and yamaha tx7 midi channel 2.

Okay I’ve just plugged my MS in.

If you hit the spanner button and rotate the orange knob until you hit the midi menu (3/7). Press the orange knob and go to out channel (3/5). Press the knob again and select the track you want to send midi from. Press the knob again to select the midi channel for that track. In your example you’d set track 1 to midi ch 1 and track 2 to midi ch 2. Of course you can change which track sends to which channel. Default I’d guess track 1 goes to midi ch 1 etc upto track 6.

If you back up one level and select the ports menu (4/5) you can select whether the MS sends and receives via midi ports or usb. You can also select the midi port polarity in the same sub menu.

Hope that helps.

2 Likes

Yeahh you are the legend it works!!!
how i can send different notes if i dont want to use live recording?

1 Like

I understend everything works great thank you !!!

1 Like

Did you manage to change the notes? This is how to change a recorded note’s value.

Select the track you want to work on then press the record button to go into record mode. Press and hold the trig button of the step you want to change and while holding down the trig button turn the pitch knob. The new value is displayed on the screen. This is called parameter locking or P locking. You can change multiple values for different parameters per step. It’s one of the things that make the Elektron sequencer so brilliant!

Edit - I’m thinking about the internal voices for p locking parameters, not external sequenced gear.

1 Like

yes i manage to change notes but with Level/Data knob.

1 Like

You know hot to sync M:S with ableton? im bit lost in menu when i was pushing to play in ableton M :S was starting to play. now it doesnt works .

Need some help, so that’s my problem:
I configure track 6 on MS to send midi to the volca FM (which is configure on channel 6 midi). The MS send midi note on the FM and i can hear them, BUT when i create a midi sequence on the midi, no sound from the FM, does anyone got an idea what it coud be?

Have you muted track 6 by pressing [FUNC] + [T6]?

The track is not muted, it’s weird