Model:Samples as drum midi controller for Ableton?

peace everybody… I am not an Elektron customer yet, but seriously considering purchasing a Model Samples… I am only really interested in using to control Ableton Drum Racks through midi… just looking for a fun, hardware based way to sequence drums, but retain the processing, routing etc I can accomplish with Ableton. I almost pulled the trigger, but then i read some reviews saying the Model:Samples wasn’t too good as a midi controller. I think they were referring to controlling synth melodies/chords, but I wasn’t too sure. Can anyone confirm that Model:Samples performs well to control one-shot drums in a DAW? really don’t care of it it falters in chromatic mode… only interested in controlling drums. Lemme know whats up!

Yep, you can just connect M:S over USB and set all the tracks to MOut. You can then p-lock notes to play the different one-shots in your drum racks and set the knobs to control certain parameters with CCs too. Each track is mono so only one note at a time per step (x6 tracks which can share the same midi channel) but the Elektron sequencer on the M:S with microtiming, p-locks, probability, conditional trigs, and retrigs is really well suited to sequencing drums imo. Go for it!

Also, welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

2 Likes

perfect, thank u! exactly what i wanted to hear :fist_right:t4:

1 Like

hey craig, i know you already answered this, but can you correct me if i am wrong… if i understand what you are saying, then the description in this youtube video is not accurate? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Odyibbu2TU

Does the sample lock or parameter lock mean that i can send more than one note over midi? this video is recent enough where it gives me pause if it can only send one note per track… you say one note per step… so i am trying to make sure. thanks!

Hey. Sorry for the late reply. Yes, it’s one note per step per track. So, for instance, you can have 16 different notes playing from the 16 different steps (on one page) from one track. Need more notes per step, then use more tracks and set them all to the same midi channel. So, in total, you can have up to six notes per step if M:S is only being used for midi – I.e. using all six tracks for midi.

2 Likes

okay thank you! that video sorta made it seem like one note per track, as opposed to one note per step… as long as I have the per-step flexibility, thats all i need! thanks again

1 Like

I tried but the retriged notes do NOT send midi signals. do you have any solution on that?

Ah that’s annoying. No other solution for that unfortunately. You can get some increased step resolution by doubling (or quadrupling, if possible) your tempo to squeeze in some more trigs.

thx. and I just tried to use model sample as midi controller again but failed. don’t know why. I think I did the same thing as the last time… weird.