Model:Samples 48000 vs 44100

Hi everyone!
Got my brand new Model:Samples yesterday, my first Elektron gear.

I am about to start loading it with my sample collection. I realized most of the stuff I got is 44100 and the manual says it accepts 48000khz.

My question is: will the Model:samples read 44100 samples at all? Shall I convert everyone of them before uploading?

Thanks

1 Like

I believe the transfer software automatically converts to 48k bitrate.

2 Likes

yes - there’s just going to be a small bit of sample stretching/repitching

I wasn’t even sure that transfer could know if a sample was a given bitrate - I assumed it only stripped a channel or merged if stereo, but wasn’t aware of bitrate sensitivity - not contesting, just puzzled - need to look back into this (never tried as I’d always pre-prepare)

I would just so I had the originals on my desktop, it keeps everything properly pitched and at the right length too

try one or two samples first to compare original to imported to get a feel for how much they are transformed

2 Likes

this website provides detailed instructions on transferring, and it provides plenty of free single cycle waveforms which look nice! but I never succeeded transferring them… really want to try these single cycle waveforms which could the model sample into a synth. can anyone help me?

I’m pretty sure there is a file header or metadata that Elektron’s software can read for more accurate file conversion.

1 Like

Yes, WAV files have a header that gives the bit depth, sample rate, number of channels (mono, stereo, quad) etc and other formats have something similar.

2 Likes

Sorry that I keep resurrecting old threads. I guess it’s because I am very late to the Model:Samples game? :man_shrugging:

What I wanted to point out for others who may eventually be searching for this: The site mentioned above recommends (among other things) 734 samples for a single-cycle wave and I’ve found today (after writing some Python code that generates single-cycle waves) that indeed the reproduction on the Model:Samples is most accurate (i.e. 0 cents difference from normal) for that number of samples.

At first I tried 183 samples because, you know, 48000/261.63 is roughly 183.465 but that (as well as 182, 184, or 185 samples) always diverged by at last 5 cents from normal. Alas, rendering the same wave 4 times out to 734 samples actually gets to the “correct” reproduction. I am not 100% sure why that is but I guess at 4 waves the floating point inaccuracies “cancel out enough” in terms of integers for things to sound “perfect” as it were. If anyone has deeper insight on this, please feel free to educate me. Otherwise, to anyone else playing with single-cycle waves on the M:S, I recommend going for 734 samples. :slight_smile:

Oh, and here’s an archived copy of that site, apparently it went away sometime after 2021: How to convert wavetables for Elektron Machines - KIMURA TARO

EDIT: I should have said “… if you’re going for C4 pitch that is …” because that’s where the 261.63 Hz comes from after all. If you are interested in another pitch the math is presumably different and I have not yet done the experiment to find the best sample length. But I probably will do that eventually and I wouldn’t be surprised if again “four waves” does the trick. We’ll see. Or maybe someone else beats me to it?

5 Likes

Re 183 samples versus 734 for SCWF. Makes sense that the bigger number of samples is more accurate for pitch, because when the pitching algorithm wants to pick a new note, it will likely turn out to be wanting a repetition rate that requires a fraction of a sample (say 777.6459 for C#). Rounding that to the actual sample length possible (whole numbers, obviously) introduces an error that is at most about 1.2 cents, wheres, doing the math with 183 samples, the biggest error is about 4.6 cents. Those deviations will of course vary depending on how exactly the M:S pitching algorithm works.

183 for middle C is already about 4.3 cents out, but 734 is out by 0.3 cents.

734 may be optimal ? Not sure if its worth going longer.

EDIT: this is also covered here (I discovered, after doing the math myself)

3 Likes

I became smarter after reading this, than you. :slight_smile:

2 Likes