Model:Samples: I can not assign Samples to an empty pattern

Hey there,
I can’t assign samples to an empty pattern. Couldn’t find any matching topic so far.
So here is what I do:
I go to an empty pattern (e.g. B07) -> select the desired track -> open the sample assign menu -> select the desired sample by turning the data knob -> I press the date knob to select the sample (it’s highlighted then) -> then I press the WAVE button to exit the sample assign menu.
during the whole selection process I can hear the selected samples but as i exit the sample assign menu the previously selectetd track is still empty.
Assigning samples to an existing pattern is no problem and works as expected.

So here is my workaround:
I copy a pattern from Bank A -> I paste it to any empty pattern on Bank B - F -> I clear all data of this pasted pattern -> then I swap the samples on each track.

This is slightly inconvenient but it works.
Any ideas. did I miss anything?

2 Likes

I too ran into this issue last night and haven’t figured it out. I had done a full clear on the pattern, so I wonder if that has anything to do with it. I’m about to go have another crack at it…

I don’t know if it’s this simple, but in order to assign a sample, once you get to the sample you want, you have to press the selection knob. That loads the sample to the pad.

That was my thought also. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve cycled through samples, moved to a new pad, and then found out that it just reverted back to the prior sample because I never pressed down the orange knob/button.

It’s a little bit inconsistent with the U.I. because it seems like other times, simply turning the knob locks in the change of whatever you are doing. But it’s the way they designed it and just something you have to learn to do.

Ok, I’m on vacation at the moment (without my Model: Samples:)).
I will check ist out when Im back.
Thanks

OMG I am having this issue right now and I cannot figure out how to get around it.

Go to a new Bank + Pattern. Did a settings > clear all data. I can see that all 6 tracks are UNMUTED. I select T1, hit Wave, pick a sample. All samples play hitting T1 as I scroll through the samples. Use the encoder to click and assign it (the sample Name is now highlighted). As soon as I back out of the menu, T1 no longer plays the sample.

I’m having this exact problem. Did anyone figure out how to fix this issue?

The only thing I can do is copy and existing pattern into a new project pattern slot. Then I clear all the pattern data and then I can choose samples for each track. If, like the original poster said, I try to assign a sample to a track in a blank pattern, I can hear the sample when I’m selecting it, I can also select a folder of samples for all of the tracks, and then go into each track and hear the samples on each track when I am still in the sample mode, but as soon as I leave sample mode, I can’t hear any sounds. I am also able to create patterns, but no sound plays. I have checked to make sure I have upgraded to the latest firmware. I have unplugged midi, and USB. I have checked my audio settings. I have made sure that I do not have mute turned on on any track, I have even checked sample start and length, and volume for each track to make sure I didn’t inadvertently create a pattern where these would’ve post a problem. None of this solves the issue. If anyone has any idea, I would sure appreciate it, otherwise I guess I will have to return this device And look for something else. This was my first Elektron product And I am pretty disappointed. I have read through the manual several times trying to figure this out. I kept hoping it was something obvious but a detail I was just missing. I’m beginning to think it is not. I tried to contact the company through its website, but it wouldn’t except any of my address change upgrades when I logged in, so it wouldn’t let me send any kind of email to technical support. Not great for my first day using one of their products. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It looks like I figured out the problem, so hopefully others won’t go through the hassle I went through today. When saving a new Project, during some step, I can’t remember which, it asks something like, "do you want to save “STOCK?” and I had been saying yes. I just saved a new project as “No Name” without first saving “STOCK.” then when I selected a pattern in the new Project (Project slot 3), no problems. I guess I’d copied over STOCK (the factory pattern set) over to my new “Project” which the M:S had write protected, even though it was “my” Project (named differently, but with all the same parameters as STOCK, including, I suspect, not being able to add new patterns to the Project). Not sure why this needed to be so complicated, but it looks like I can now use it as intended.

1 Like