Model Cycles screen repair?

Hi everyone

I am currently looking at an offer online for a damaged Model Cycles for 50€. The seller stated that a heavy box fell on it and broke the display, everything else supposedly works fine. Does anyone have any experience with swapping the display or having it fixed? I do know a little bit of soldering.

Obviously there is the risk of other parts being damaged but else this seems like a nice opportunity - any thoughts?

1 Like

Have you used the search function on the forum to look for existing discussions on the topic of replacing the Models screens? A quick search brought this up:

In which it appears the screen is a custom one.

1 Like

I think the cost of the replacement part purchased directly from Elektron will be minimal, the amount of effort to replace it will not be insignificant though. If something heavy enough to break the screen fell on it and with such precision that the tiny little screen bore the brunt of the fall, I’d be a little concerned about overall functionality of the device or wonky encoders, but if you or someone you know has the skill to do the screen swap it might be worth it.

Soldering a ribbon cable is not like soldering wires on a guitar pot, it’s much easier to damage the components or the cable. I’d make the decision based on whether or not you’re willing to risk losing the 100 you’ll probably spend for the machine, parts and supplies just in case the thing doesn’t work right or something gets damaged in the process of installation.

On the other hand, if you spend 100 and get it in working order then the price may be worth the hassle, but just consider that if you can find a deal on a perfect M:C for 200 at some point in the near future, is it worth the extra money to you to get something you know has never been damaged and already works?

If you plan to use this heavily as a part of your current set up then that’s something you’ll want to factor in.

3 Likes

If you don’t know how difficult it might be, doesn’t sound like a great deal.

Thank you for your replies - I did search beforehand but the thread you linked does not actually provide any info if the part did fit, does it?

What shigginpit mentions was a big concern and ultimately the reason I did not purchase it. It has been sold now so the thread should be closed I think.

Thanks again for taking the time!

1 Like