Model:Cycles Q & A with Ess

Sorry if asked before or elsewhere.

Can all of the stuff on the M:C be done on the DN? I’ve been considering a DN lately.

1 Like

Ess said, there is some stuff done in the M:C that you cannot (technically) reproduce on DN

2 Likes

Any chance for multi-map go(o)dness?

1 Like

Would be nice to have the option to add the attack amount, even if it was only in the menu section or per preset, with no knob access…unless the DSP engine can not cope with that.
Even just two settings (Fast/Slow) like DFAM would make a big difference

1 Like

I already asked a similar question ^^

Check @Ess’ answer:

:no_mouth:

2 Likes

Indeed, but let’s keep this about questions and answers - the Feature requests thread is linked below, the question about no attack was answered and previously explained as part of the design brief and that follows from the M:S - it’s why the LFO has an Env mode - it’s a conscious design choice to minimize the number of hidden settings

Is the audio interface class compliant? It would be cool to hook this up to my ipad.

guys, if you ask something, could you consider to read the thread and or the manual. Ess said please no questions which can easily be found in the manual. And it´s also kind of rude to ask the same question already been aswerd by him for the third or fourth time.

He takes the time to read all the questions, so please take your time and read everything before you ask. Just because it would be nice and it would be sad if he decides not to care anymore because most of the questions are mainly because everyone is lazy.

20 Likes

yes - it’s shown on the product specs !!

this is for more specific queries not covered in the literature / elsewhere

It’s a privilege to get a designer’s ear, so keep it focused

9 Likes

I’m sorry, I missed it

1 Like

Love the model:Cycles
Im a heavy Elektron user. I like this machine because it’s fun, weird and interesting at the same time. I’m ok with all of the limitations. I do think this model needs a MUTE PER PATTERN function in order to experiment and or cycle between patterns and grooves. I think it would make this groovebox stink awesomeness even more.
Question!
Do you think we can see an update of this nature in the near future?

Much love.
Blackdot

1 Like

What was the rationale behind not giving the Model series a battery compartment and going for the handle instead? Regarding the handle - why the external cable connecting the battery compartment to the plug? I like the option to tilt the M:C, but I find the cable looks not very elegant.

Just theoretical pure for the sake of interest. Are there major differences between the DSP in the M:C and the Prozessor of the Rytm. Could the rytm theoretically run those Maschines you put in the M:C.
Just daydreaming about a rytm that is equipped with those 6 dream maschines in addition to the analog stuff and the samples :wink: But for now I´m ok to put them side by side.

As I understand it you developed the pure algos for the Maschines completly on your own in Max as prototypes, right? Was it always those 6 maschines and you polished each of them, or where there many others and those were the ones that were the keepers and just needed a little polish?

Did you have a prototyping hardware which resembles the interface of the hardware, or did you focus just on the sound and then make it controlable with those four macros?

I got one:

Currently its very hard to visually distinguish between actual sequencer trigs vs trigless locks. Is there some insider knowledge that can help here? The diff between a fully lit and not isnt very clear right now, due to how the trigless lock led indicators “flicker” - wouldnt it be better for them to blink steadily or something instead?

Another question: As there doesn’t seem to be a dedicated HPF setting for the reverb nor delay, is there some HPF applied to the internal wetpath by design? Using reverb/delay without any lowcut in the wetpath muddies up a mix fast…

Sorry, one more question: Is the optional MIDI THRU function handled like a MIDI soft thru? As in, not an electrical copy of the data sent to the MIDI IN terminal, but a new MIDI signal reconstructed by DSP? I ask this because IME MIDI soft thru has always been an inferior solution versus a “proper” hardware MIDI THRU port, which just makes an electrical copy of the MIDI IN

thanks

1 Like

@Ess Does the M:C have the same reverb algorithm as the M:S? If not, what are the major differences (if any)? To me, the M:S sounds like a kind of Hall reverb, but I could be mistaken, especially since it sounds kind of Plate-ish when fed cymbals and crashes.

@Ess : as stated in another topic, what’s the point of the “pattern save” function ?

Does a slow resetting random lfo produce a new unique value per key strike (details here) ?

Knowing before its arrival may prevent some honeymoon blues if nay, please say yay :loopy:

Yes it does change on every pad press but I can not asure you it does the way you want. Having lfo assigned to pitch will give a different one each time I hit the pad. Completely random? That I do not know

2 Likes

If it is set to reset the ‘shape’ and is slow enough to be near static and it is changing per strike then all is good for me - this is encouraging - as i mentioned in the other thread the A4 wasn’t doing this originally so it looks like this random behaviour is retained - it’s not a Hold mode, but it’s close enough for me - thanks for chiming in, in any case i am sure i will adapt if it’s not like that, and maybe breaking old habits is a good thing - but this sounds promising :thup:

I have been trying it a little bit more; with LFO velocity set to 0 random LFO behaves like Hold (the given random value stays for as long as pad is pressed no matter what LFO multi value is entered), pressing the pad again gives a new value each time.

How random the LFO is I can not say, I can not compare to other Elektron LFOs but I would not say it is as random as an analog sample and hold, sometime feels like if there was some kind of pattern to it, like sometimes it just goes up or down for a few times on a row but maybe that is me just going paranoid…:sweat_smile:

2 Likes