Model:Cycles Q & A with Ess

Well, one might want to make a kick out of the perc track or vice versa, and since the eq is locked and there are no filters that wont be entirely doable if that is the case.

1 Like

Got ya.

@Ess regarding the dev and test process. At what stage have you defined and tested the controls? I guess in the Max or M4L stage?

Asking because I teach Max to industrial design students and this makes a great example.

I personally was just going to try and get a deeper understanding. If I get the Algos I’d be perfectly happy, as not disclosing the mapping actually is a invitation creativity. Imagine all the alternative macro possibilities that could be made :slight_smile:

1 Like

Some of the patterns are in the factory content - they are made by a lot of different people, not sure how to get a hold of specific ones.

I think those are made by @Dataline , maybe he can upload them?

There is no EQ, but some of them have a filter. The hihat for example is high-passed. Mostly it’s just FM though, you can pretty easily balance things timbrally - and each machine has a certain ‘default octave’ as well.

The Max4Live patch is really the same patch. The very first patches were more abstract but as soon as I started mapping the controls the same patch was used for the Max4Live versions. (And then just iterating on the m4l patches)

Nice! Feel free to DM me and ask about anything that might be helpful for you or your students. I’m not exactly a Max expert though, I just have a lot of experience in using it in practice.

8 Likes

Is a screenshot of the M4L device something you can share? I’m interested in this because the first step I have to take in the course is bypass skepticism about what a software for weird electronic music has to offer to product designers. I’m always on the look out for good examples of Max being used in prototyping and user testing.

1 Like

Sure! This is how all of them looked:

modelkick

31 Likes

Is there a new stat card I can unlock after gaining exponential xp?
plan on xp farming next week and leveling up/unlocking a bonus stat; DEF perhaps.

cringe aside, I have a question: not sure if this been asked yet, but is it possible to add more stats?
i know it’s still early and not in a rush for new features (except for env attack) but I guess it’s just something cool to look forward too.
and if the screen is limiting or dsp issues, maybe have them interchangeable?

:rofl: I too would love for @ess to make a synthesizer which is also an RPG video game console.

1 Like

Are you gonna reroll your kick as a paladin?

1 Like

I went mage :mage:‍♂ glass cannon…full kick, zero other stats, one-shot’n everything.

2 Likes

:elf:t6::dagger: elven thief. 5 :star:DEX
Beats sneak up and kill.

1 Like

I think Metal Machine with reverb has greater farming potential. You get great minion waveclear because of the AoE.

1 Like

Hehe, the stats are only a cute detail, it doesn’t haven any impact on functionality.

4 Likes

im so lame thinking increasing stats did some kind of special treatment lol.
perhaps I should’ve waited till my :cycles was delivered first.

bonus

(5% kick & snare buff-duration 14 secs, grants filter immunity, can not cntrl+all while effect is active)

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Model:Cycles

Yeah, I wish there were trig destinations. You could have eg, conditional reverb, conditional LFO toggles.

I REALLY wish trig conditions had a sort of “choose”/“pick” option. Ie, you supply a list of options, and the trig condition will choose one of them at that step. Eg, choose C4, C5, or C6 at step 1.

And then the holy grail: you could have multiple trig conditions, with choosable destinations, per step.

3 Likes

Hey @Ess,

first of all congratulations on the Model Cycles to you and to the whole team behind it. I was at the launch event in Berlin and I instantly fell in love with it.

Since you repeatedly mentioned the MC202 as an inspiration is this where the grey / blue colorway of the Model Cycles comes from?

1 Like

No, I have nothing to do with the look of the unit.

5 Likes

Yea I know you are not directly involved in the physical product design team but it seemed to fit so well. :wink:

Thanks for the quick answer.