Model:Cycles Q & A with Ess

A post was merged into an existing topic: Model:Cycles OS 1.11 & 1.12: bug reports

Hope I didn’t miss this question… @Ess, Considering that via the side port you can power the M:C with 5v USB, why can’t it be powered via the actual USB port? Would save cables when plugged into say an iPad that’s using the CCK with power charging.

As it is now, there’s like 3 mutually explusive ports… Main power, side battery power, and a USB port… Seems odd.

Probably due to ground loop noise, see OP-Z/OP-1 sharing data and power over USB. Keeping them isolated from each other means no background whine when plugged in.

4 Likes

@Ess I have a question regarding how lfos are implemented inside M:C, are they part of the machines or part of the track/sequencer?

I ask this to see if (at least theoretically, not as a feature request which I already made :sweat_smile:) LFOs from one track could be sent to other tracks; maybe very difficult to implement if they are part of the machines but maybe not so difficult if LFOs are part of the sequencer/tracks. I have no idea about coding so I am just asking.

In the studio I am using it as a two part monophonic synth with individual outputs (dry, no reverb or delay), that way is easier to multitrack from it, at least for me.

Right now I am using a tone machine as a drone machine with lfos sent from ableton (great fun) and I wonder if something like that could be accomplished within M:C, two part/2 outs drone machine with 3 lfos each.

As I said I can easily accomplish this in the studio but for live performances it could be a nice feature to have…

Thanks

Excellent point! I returned the Uno because of the horrible usb buzz/hum.

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Model:Cycles Tips & Tricks Thread

@Ess As M:C was designed with Max, is there a M4L editor or could be one released in the future? Would be nice to have one to control and design sounds via push 2 …and my M4L knowledge is close to 0…:sweat_smile:

1 Like

From what I’ve heard/read, it was prototyped with Max, and then Elektron’s DSP guy remade it in assembly for the final product, so it’s not actually using the original Max patch.

edit:

2 Likes

Ok, thanks. There is already a M:S m4l device around, I guess is a question of time for someone to make something similar for M:C

Hi Ess, I’d like to know what your thoughts are surrounding sampling and the model Samples, do you like the idea of things like internal resampling and sample slicing that would place slices on the pads etc… this is not a feature request just wondering how you view such concepts…

also what are your thoughts on intelligent randomizers in instruments like the model cycles and model samples ?.. Regards

2 Likes

I have the same problem with pads! Sensivity is very very poor! I dont want to beat off my fingers. it is really not usefull! Do yo know, are all devices go with these pads?

2 Likes

I find no one needs 127 different velocities for the pads, especially on drums, so have you tried reducing VDep in the Pad menu? I set mine between 30 and 50 and it makes them very useable

5 Likes

Because of the sound design actually possible or because more machines will be added? :smiley:

2 Likes

Interesting! Possibly a bit of both? In the original context of the post, it seems to be that once you discover little tricks and certain settings it really opens up compared to what you thought you could do with it when you first got it. Let’s ask @Ess for clarification!

1 Like

I always took that comment to mean that as you spend more time with the box, you learn more of the nuances and ways to play with the “limitations” to coax more and more out of the machine. And perhaps it’s the answer to the riddle “when is a drum machine not a drum machine?”

4 Likes

When a drum machine isn’t a ‘drum machine’…

4 Likes

I feel like I’ve been rickrolled :frowning:

3 Likes

I’m wondering if the delay effect is exactly the same as in the model:samples. Sorry if this got answered already.

Hi there!

Just a quick question.
For some reason the Track buttons (T1 to T6) do not return a sound when tapped (or it’s very very low).
The 16 pads do and while pressing “RETRIG” then T1-T6 does return the sound of the machine loaded.
Any idea why?

Thank you!

1 Like

maybe this answers your question?

2 Likes