Model Cycles: Individual MIDI OUT in DAW (Logic)

Hi,

my understanding is I can’t send out individual audio tracks, but what about MIDI tracks?

I set up 6 tracks in Logic. Each per midi channel, 1 through 6. I set up Cycles MIDI out via USB and set mOUT per track.

It sends ALL MIDI DATA to each channel in logic as in all notes from Cycles are laid down into one of the Logic tracks.

I’m trying to record the audio and add some layering to the individual MIDIs from software instruments to spice things up efficiently.

Can it be done?

PS. My first post! :smiley:

Cheers,
B.

Welcome to the forum @bazki!

You can certainly do this, but it does take a little effort to set it up in Logic.

1. Make sure you have all ADVANCED SETTINGS enabled in Logic PREFERENCES

2. Open Logic ENVIRONMENT window (Command + 0). Go to CLICKS & PORTS view, select M:C in midi “physical input”

a. It will show M:C wired to a keyboard — midi monitor —sequencer

b. On the top of the page you’ll see some tabs, choose add new MULTI-INSTRUMET from the drop down; add one. Now a block with 16 midi channels will be on the page.

c. Disconnect the wire from M:C “SUM” to the keyboard (right-click on the little triangle, select remove wire only)

d. Add a connection/wire from the first triangle below “SUM” to the MULTI-INSTUMENT and another connection/wire from MULTI-INSTRUMENT to the keyboard.

I. Click the channels (boxes in the MULTI’) that correspond to the M:C midi out channels e. g. 1-6 or whatever you have set. Close ENVIRONMENT window

1. Create 6 midi tracks with the midi ports set to match the M:C out channels (1-6 not ALL the default) on the channel strips.

2. Go to Logic Preferences > Recording I believe it’s under the General or Audio tab and check the box “Auto-Demix by midi channel”.

3. Record Enable the 6 tracks, add your instruments and you should be able to bäng away.

4. Also create an Audio track for the M:C:).

I’ll try to tidy this up and possibly add some screenshots when I have a chance. On my phone so excuse the mess.

Someone else may have a simpler solution but this is how I’ve had the best experience.

Peace

3 Likes

EDIT: I just got it running using your method Kpucski. Thank you so much! I’m not sure how to export an Environment file from Logic but I created a template file and as soon as the forum allows me to attach files I’ll share it on here for others to enjoy.

Cheers and thank you so much!

PS: Looks like if you record but switch to a different pattern (FNC PATTERN) it will stop sending midi data.

1 Like

I believe the ENVIRONMENT settings will be saved with the template, but I could be wrong. I also noticed that there didn’t appear to be a way to export them.

I’ll look into this and see if I can figure out what’s happening. I based my instructions off of my MPC setup, but I’ll try it with my Cycles when I get a chance.