Model:Cycles freezes on startup

Hey there, I’ve seen a few threads like that, but never a solution so far.

Since yesterday my Cycles won’t load. All I see is the loading screen that is 100% static. I can access startup menu by holding [FUNC] on load, but nothing there is really leading to any solution.

I’ve contacted Support, but I’ve got a feeling they won’t answer fast.

Did someone encounter anything like that? Any tips?

Based on my experiences with freezes (which I admit did not look like yours) I would try

• unplugging every cable but power
  • try running on battery power
  • try running away from a noisy electrical environmental (e.g. bedroom)
  • if you now reboot successfully connect using elektron supplied cables,
  • now work your way back to your starting point step by step, and you should discover what was causing the problem.
2 Likes

Thanks for your answer!

I’ve tried pretty much everything that I could so far. I don’t have a proper power adapter to test the battery power yet, but I ordered one.

The rest I did a couple of times. At this point I can’t boot it at all. Yesterday a few days back when I first noticed that issue, I managed to boot it by just reloading a couple of times. Didn’t really think much about the issue, since then I worked for a few hours without any issues. But next time I tried to boot it’s kinda bricked.

I can access a startup menu though and even update a firmware via midi in (using legacy mode), but after that it still freezes on startup and doesn’t appear in Transfer…

For anyone who will encounter similar issue, apparently there’s nothing you could do to fix it yourself - that’s confirmed by support. They advised me to contact my retailer for repair / replacement arrangement.

Additionally, if you will encounter startup / boot freeze issue like I did and will manage to boot after that - the first thing you should do is backup your projects, because you might not have that luxury later…

That’s interesting, because in my particular case (where the frozen screen did, admittedly, look different to yours) it did appear to cure itself. But thanks for the advice on backups … I shouldn’t be complacent.

Well, it did kinda ‘cure itself’ for me too once, but after that it just went straight to being a brick. So yeah, if you’re not looking forward to losing all your projects - you better backup :woozy_face:

Sucks to hear about this. I had the exact same thing with my M:S (screen looked similar and similar behavior) and the only course of action was a repair/new cpu.

I guess we got lucky :smiley: