Model:Cycles Feature Requests Thread

I am kind of new to elektron world, " slide trigs" is something I just expected, like any other groovebox I know off. Or just via a setting via menu (normal/slide), I think volcas and also circuit do it this way per track.

For a track jumping between presets ( like a drum track with several kicks and few snares) is ok and much preffered the way it is. This is where the M:C really shines.

But for a bassline or drones with same preset slide trigs should be the way to go, and yet another way to overcome the “just one lfo issue”. Otherwise it is kind of useless ( a drone jumping between values, how beautiful), at least for this two use case scenarios.

Some concepts that may have been completely valid for a sampler like M:S do not apply to a synth and this is what it is, and fm synth ( or groovebox). I think Elektron kind of failed in foreseing this

it’s conceived as an FM drum machine mainly though, that was the brief as Ess mentioned, the tone and chord machines are excellent additional options - it was also conceived to be direct and simple, plus the slide trig implementation Elektron use for the analogs takes a bit of horsepower and it is far from direct/intuitive
anyway even on the definitely synth DN and DT there are no slides - look how popular they are

People want everything on everything, but there is a focus in their thinking - retrigs on drum machines (AR DT MS MC) arps on synths (AF DN)

We all want extra LFos but sometimes this can be counterproductive for immediacy in a UI

This isn’t to sell the concept of an MC but more to be aware that it is on brief and in my humble opinion better for it - let’s not forget these are supremely affordable to get access to the sequencer capabilities and they sound great, but it won’t be for everyone (people love the 909, can’t stand it myself whereas percussive driven beats from this are talking to me, but i am more impressed about how deep the sound generation is for the tone/chord, especially the chord, it does stuff i never imagined with just the one lfo)

so for a drum machine it’s punching above its weight

you can get an s/h A4 mk1 for up to twice the asking price of this, possibly an option

i can imagine they might buckle to add an attack option somehow (if elegant) but slides will not happen on the MC imho

2 Likes

Adding knob function for attack or a shortcut for slide trig maybe is not going to happen but as menu I do not see why it should not.

So being this a feature request thread let me insist.

• Attack via menu, share it with lfo menu. Three settings, fast/medium/slow

• More than one destination for lfo, with its own depth value.

• Normal trigs/slide trigs behaviour selectable per track via track menu. I do not mind if can not change the preset via p-locks when in slide trig mode.

1 Like

What do you mean? You can totall y record smooth volume manipulation to audio by turning the knobs and recording the result. Guessing you dont like to play the knobs?

Scales please!

10 Likes

To record these movements inside the patern…

One of the most important options is accessing the sounds on +drive, this is also tied to the most awkward of key combos

however it’s also uncharacteristically far away wrt recent Elektron UI

so it could be declared odd that double tapping track does not load the browser up (as other devices do)

but I would put that or this as a FR

a single tap on the drum brings up the machine selection
fn + a tap on the drum brings up the sound selection folders

I think a single long hold on Drum to bring up sounds would be viable, or for consistency implement dbl-tap track (or both, maybe making long hold take you straight to the pool folder, not that there’s much advantage to landing there)

but the issue is that FUNC + DRUM is a bit fiddly compared to recent workflows and both these suggestions are free

umm, fn + track button is used by the mutes?

TRACK + double tap T1-T6 could open the browser.

1 Like

I never mention fn+track … but it’s fn+T1-6 that does muting

the actual Track button is a concept from AR and if you double tap that you get browser iirc

so this is consistent and quicker and does nothing already - it simply uses the current track

long hold drum would be simpler imho, but I can see other folk getting confused between short/long as per analogs

In some menus the blue DATA encoder will scroll menu items when focus is surrounding the item name and value (like circle on left and both screen grabs)

When you click you get four on the value (like circle on right, not shown within screen grab, but when Wav is black text on white the dial changes the value)

this would be MUCH quicker and consistent with current UI if this was done in one gesture, push then turn

this would give value focus on Push onset, not push release as present and would allow immediate value adjustment if held down, then releasing would return focus to the example on left

everything else is the same - except this allows much faster adjustment in one gesture

this applies to a number of selection screens (and probably MS too)

currently push turn in this menu shown above will accelerate the scroll which is of no use whatsoever - ie for key transpose it will skip selecting midi out

I don’t see any conflict, this would still allow normal fast scrolling in sound select because there’s no value adjustment here - this is just for the menus which need the value to be focussed

So [Push-Turn] instead of [Push] / [Turn] / [Push] !

5 Likes

Also semi related - setting velocity mod destination allows turn of target parameter when in dest field to assign, for LFO dest this does not work, it isn’t consistent.

Mm, not sure. Push-turn makes sense when browsing lists of presets for example, and ideally you’d want to maintain consistency across contexts. I also think that while push-turn to select values might be slightly more efficient for “power users”, it might be harder to use for a lot of people, especially for fine value adjustments.

On the whole, I think I would prefer a dedicated yes/confirm button from a usability standpoint… feature request for a mk2?

I’m not advocating any change to the current setup though - it’s a suggested addition (a shortcut) to reduce three actions to 1 - not such a bad idea for an ‘immediate’ instrument paradigm and probably a lot more realistic than most suggestions found in these FR threads

I notice it most when I need to shift Transpose (which happens a lot) it’s quite cumbersome for such an important function

even if the push turn ONLY applied to that KBT parameter and offered straight octave jumps it would be a massive workflow boost

probably the easiest way to achieve quick-ish (certainly quicker) transpose which we’re all crying out for

1 Like

If you’re not adverse to using a DAW with your gear, you can make slides (or whatever) automating the OB VST.

Have you used the MC-101 or 707? They have this nice keyboard layout on the buttons, the top corner buttons act as octave transpose keys. I’d love to see something similar on the models tbh - just limit the chromatic keys to 12 semitones and use the remaining 4 creatively to add octave switches and you even have two extra buttons remaining that could be used for something cool…

1 Like

I can…model:cycles :wink:

Quite innovative, that I can agree with…:sweat_smile:

Is there a way to redirect the lfos to other tracks? I would preffer to do it internally or at least via midi loop.

To make 1 track drone with 6 LFOs delay and reverb or 2 drones with 3 LFOs and delay with individual out.

I would choose this config for external mixing, reverb always leaks to the opposite output even if hard panned , delay does not

No.

But you can p-lock the whole first LFO page, including destinations.

2 Likes