Model Cycles: chord progression / sequence programming

I’m searching for the fastest way to record a chord progression in a sequence (track with Chord machine) using an external midi controller (Launchpad Pro mkIII): with that i send the root note and the CC for the Chord type (CC17 Shape param). If i work in Grid Mode, i didn’t arrive to do param locking of the chord type via Midi because leaving the keyboard on continues to send Midi CC value of the last chord type pressed (in any mode: on toggle or momentary or trigger mode cc button of my midi controller).
In “Live recording” mode the thing are similar.
How do you manage to “live record” during a show an easy chord sequence like C-Am-Dm-G7 1 , one chord for each quarter note?

it’s not going to be as intuitive or quick fiddling with chord parameters in real time as well as sorting root note/velocity/length etc - imo it may be better to preprogram soundlocks with designated sound/chord and soundlock those in place if performing chord progressions on the fly is what you need - even then it won’t be super fluid - maybe it’s simpler to mute a track and take time to p-lock it and then unmute - or explore custom midi mappings on a configurable midi app/gear to quickly access specific values for shapes you want and p-lock those on auto channel (never tried this on MC so may not fly)

2 Likes

Nice suggestions here, thank you!
Another idea could be to create 2 tracks for each static basic chord shape (T1 for Minor and T2 for Major in example), and set two rows (=2 virtual keaybards) with the same scale on LP Pro., one for MIDI channel 1 and one for midi channel 2. When i performe, i have to select the root of the chord from the right row of Majors or of Minors.

I can extend this with more than 2 tracks/rows, in example adding the T3 for fifths to cover all the other chords.
I could also add a T4 with one note extension to enrich the basic form of the chord.

The closest thing I’ve been able to find to being able to quickly play back chords is this project: https://wavesontable.com/chordmachine/chordmachine.html

It uses webmidi to connect to the M:C and then sends a trig and the correct params to the device. Unfortunately you can only choose major and minor scales (although that gives us many other modes as well), but we have no way to use the more complex chord types like major/minor7b5, etc.

I posted in the Tensor IOS app thread asking if the developer of that app might be interested in adding a similar sort of interface and it seems like there’s some interest.

In the meantime, I might try to build out my own version of the web version. I work as a web developer for my day job and have spent some time working on some interactive music theory tools and stuff, so it shouldn’t be too tough to figure out.

I’ll let you know if it works out - as I’m trying to find a reliable way to do better live chord playback as well.

1 Like

Hello,
I have just got myself a model:cycles, my first piece of elektron gear.
Is there a way that I can create a chord progression containing multiple inversions (major, minor, sus, unison etc) one the one track in live record mode?
Currently I use 1 track for each inversion as when I change the inversion shape, it changes the whole track.
Thanks very much

It would be tricky to nail it in live record mode because you’d have to simultaneously play the trigs chromatically whilst also turning the knob that changes to the different chord shapes (and be dead accurate at that!). It would be better to lay down your root notes and timing in live record mode first, then go into grid record mode and p-lock the various chord changes/inversions by holding each trig one by one and turning the knob.

Edit: welcome to the forum too :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Ok cool, thanks very much.
I will try the other method you suggested but in grid mode, it looks like I can only get the one chord rather than all 16 on the scale? Is there a way around that?
Thanks for your help, sorry for my ignorance

1 Like

No worries at all! Hold down a trig and turn the main sky blue knob to adjust things like the root note, velocity and trig length. You need to move the knob, push it down to choose one of the three options, turn it to your desired setting and click again to exit. It wasn’t obvious to me first time I tried Cycles and I’ve owned other Elektrons before! :slight_smile:

2 Likes