Model:Cycles Ableton Midi Program Change

Hi All,

The main issue is that I’m trying to use Ableton to launch specific patterns and I can’t figure out how to do this. In the manual it says: MIDI program change messages 0–95 selects pattern 1–96. So in Ableton create I create a blank clip, choose pgm 1 for example, and it just plays whatever pattern I have currently selected. No matter what I set the pgm to in Ableton, it doesn’t make a difference. I leave bank and sub blank as nothing in the manual mentions this, but even after changing that nothing happens.

I’ve set midi sync on on both the model cycles and Ableton to both send and receive midi. I should note though, that for some reason I can send midi to the Model:Cycles fine, but I when playing a pattern for example, it won’t send any Midi to Ableton.

I’ve searched and searched and can’t find a solution for this, I am quite new with integrating hardware into Ableton, so if anyone could walk me through this that would be much appreciated.

1 Like

Hi, welcome to the forum.

Have you set the midi program change right in the m:c setup menu? also you can choose, if m:c respond to midi over usb or din or both…also have you set the right midi channels? are you sure, ableton is sending the right messages? these are my first ideas/hints…

ps: it is all in the manual :wink:

1 Like

Hi thanks for the response. Yes I’ve set CLK In to ON, CLK OUT to ON, PCH IN to ON and PCH OUT to on.

In Ableton I’ve set Input and Sync to ON on the Input, and also the same for Output.

Both devices are talking to each other as when I try and adjust tempo on the model cycles it says EXT. And on Ableton, when I start the transport the model cycles starts playing.

Still, the model cycles will not send any midi notes to Ableton, and Ableton starts playing the model cycles no matter what clip is launched. As soon as any play button is hit on anything, the model cycles starts playing whatever pattern is selected.

I feel like I’m missing something here.

Try setting bank to 0
If that doesn’t work set it to 1

Have you set the right midi channels?
(m:c expects program change msg. on a specific channel)

to send midi notes from m:c you have to enable it for every track.

m:c starts, because ableton live transport starts (as soon as you start any clip) - this is expected behavior

1 Like

Alright it looks like I’ve actually got somewhere.

On the In Channel section in the menu, I had PCH In set to AUTO. I changed it to 16. In the Ableton Midi track, under ‘Midi To’ I changed it to 16 and now it works. I can now send pattern changes. Bank and Sub under the program change settings in clip are irrelevant.

What I can do to make sure the model cycles doesn’t play when I run the transport, is just set an empty pattern when launching other clips when I don’t want it to play. Also just to note, in the clip launch settings for this, quantize needs to be set to ‘None’ or else the pattern will change too late.

So still the other problem, I still can’t seem to send midi out from it.

In the Out Channel settings I have 1 for T1, 2 for T2, etc.

In Ableton in the Midi track, I choose the model cycles as the midi device and choose channel 1.

In this case I would think T1 would be coming through this channel but nothing.

Any tips?

your clip launch settings tip just saved me smashing the flat up :slight_smile:

Let us know if you can get it working in arrangement. The DT you have to send the program change way early.