Model: Cycles- 9v pedal power supply compatible?

Looking at the power specs on this device, they are saying a max of 1A with a 5V power supply. They also state 2-4 Watt power consumption based on LED settings (which is more like 800mA at 5V if my calculations are correct.) The back of the unit reads DC inlet: 4-10V center-positive. If that is true, does anyone see a reason why the Model: Cycles (and Model: Samples) couldn’t run safely on a 9V regulated pedal power supply like my Cioks DC10? I would think running the unit at a 9V could bring the current draw under 200mA. Has anyone tried anything like this?
Do any Elektron techs respond on this forum? Sorry, first time here. New Elektron owner.

The only supported port which supports a variable voltage input is the concealed battery mount one. It has a different barrel connector to the factory 5v one which only connects at the rear. The battery one is to the side. All model cycles come with the correct PSU. But the supported specs are quoted here from the manual What spec usb cable is required for powering the Cycles

Yep I know about the secondary battery input port on the side and I have read that document. Thanks! But I’m more curious if anybody has first-hand experience powering these units at 9V off a Voodoo Labs, Cioks, or similar high-end pedalboard based DC power supply and what the current draw requirements are at that voltage.

1 Like

@Huffer - good idea! Did you ever end up trying this?

Most pedal power supplies are center negative. You’d have to use a cable that switches to center positive. Also, make sure you plug it into the side port.

1 Like