Modding/hacking the Digitakt

for this particular pie-in-the-sky type fantasizing, it’s more about having detailed control over specifically analog voices inside the DT. I indeed have always wanted a Nord Drum 2 though, so as you said, Nord Drum inside the DT would be pure bliss.

having followed what this guy is doing, it would be 100% feasible and amazing to have something like this Polynorth device with the form factor/interface/sequencer of the DT.

BTW, I recently bought this weird mini Flash synth (the smallest synth in the world, just the size of the jack, really). Unfortunately, it draws too much current, so even though the Digitakt is supposed to be able to provide power over MIDI, it doesn’t provide enough power for the device. I had a wild fantasy of being able to have a digital polysynth basically built-in to the Digitakt, with no need for additional power. It’d be really great to bring along with a USB power bank I have.

Support still hasn’t been able to tell me what the specs are for the DT’s power over MIDI, but the little synth just keeps rebooting. A damn shame.

1 Like

Vacuum tubes sticking out the top of the digitakt would be so impractical but it would look insanely rad with that screen colour. I vote steampunk looking valve preamp for tube distortion on the main outs. Sticking out like this

Or an axoloti

3 Likes

axoloti will be great, pi synth too i guess

No surer way to make something look like it was marketed to doctor/lawyer-guitarists than gluing some tubes onto it!

I wouldn’t ‘mod’ it , a battery pack might be useful but adding a volca is just going to mean the volca would be hard to give away and the digitakt might be worth 1/2 normal 2nd hand value.

2 Likes

While your DT is open, would you mind to let it play and use a scope or whatever to locate possible individual track outputs? It would be the easter egg of the year if you find pre marked solderpoints just like on some Korg volca stuff😁

1 Like

individual outputs wired to a db15 connector on the side would be cool.

2 Likes

Raspberry Pi Raspberry Pi

You’ve got my attention…

why not put a sampler machine in there or something

Zero chance.

Nope.

Seriously guys, AKM DA Converter chips are not free.
There’s not gonna be an extra 3 in there for you to play around with.
This is the converter in the Digitakt:

I’m curious about the vacant 26 pin connector on the board there in pic 2.
Does Elektron use the same board for different devices or is this connector used in the manufacturing or for debugging etc? or maybe to connect to a keyboard as in digitone keys. does anybody know?
p.s… where is the + drive?

The 26 pin connector is probably for loading the firmware and testing/debugging like you said.

The Digitone Keys has 10 jack connectors more on the back, those connectors also need converters.
So the boards are definitely not the same.

The +Drive is a single flash chip somewhere on the board.

2 Likes

Thank you. I love this forum, everyone is so helpful.

1 Like

I just turned a pi into a usb midi host becuase it was alot cheaper than the kenton box and alot more powerful. Looks like theres room above the usb slot for me to put a female usb socket and connect it internally to a pi zero, then i can run a usb hub out of the rear of the elektron to connect all the usb midi devices

1 Like

Maybe analog compressor / saturator on master would be fun.

a la: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQ3htrtfNSA

… why though?

You’re never going to be able to screw that back together with that Volca board in there. The Volca is now occupying the space that the Digitakt’s own board uses.

This is amazing.

1 Like