Skulpt from Modal Electronics

Yep, just found out about those osc modifiers yesterday as well. Its looking bad for the wallet ATM…

I wouldn’t be surprised if we see a craft drum machine 2.0 soon either. I think Modal might have a bit of a hit here, although a slow burning one… Its weird to me there isnt more discussion/hype around these yet.

This looks like a heck of a lot of synth for not much money in a very small box! Tempted… :cold_sweat:

Mine is arriving today or tomorrow. I’ll be sure to post my impressions after having spent some time with it. Expecting to be using it as the only “synth” along with a coupla small bits in an upcoming project, hoping the onboard sequencer will be capable enough to get by with.

3 Likes

Cool!! I’ll look forward to hearing what you make of it. I’m worried that I’m starting to come across as weirdly evangelical about this synth so it’d be good not to be alone in this respect!!! I really do think it’s such a well considered and nice sounding instrument… if anything I think the biggest thing going against it these days is the sheer volume of competition for it out there.

2 Likes

Just unboxed, first impressions:

• packaging is slick
  • this thing has like no weight at all! feels like its hollow inside
  • buttons feel pretty good
  • encoder action feels slightly coarse/stepped to the touch excluding the cutoff
  • its roughly the size of an SE-02 ie larger than a volca
  • the included cover is amazing and doubles as a stand! ++
  • USB cable included, and not even of the cheapest variety

Now excuse me while I get to know this bad boy a lil better :diddly:

EDIT: Oh dear, I think I’m in love!

This synth, at least for me, is that “missing link”, a hardware synth capable of many of the sounds I previously though were only possible using softsynths like Massive and Razor. Very happy to have it in my collection, been looking something like this for ages, ever since giving up on the nord micromodular (just too inconvenient for me, I was always struggling with patches needing the computer editor).

The sound goes from typical VA stuff into some serious techstep/neuro territory with just a few flicks of a dial. The morphable filers and oscs really come into their own when FM is thrown into the mix :loopy:

I can also power the Skulpt straight from the USB-C out of my iPad Pro. I’m getting a USB-C to micro-USB cable so that I can just plug the synh in without extra dongles (currently using the AV HDMI/USB Apple adapter). The app seems pretty responsive and fully featured, almost feels like using overbridge :wink:

What I don’t like: the keyboard has a lot of dead space between the keys. This wouldn’t be so bad if the edges of the keys areas weren’t so hard to see (dark gray on black). Also I think the delay, while sorta useful, just muddies the sound when mixed in. It doesn’t sit well with the dry sound at all, easily being way too quiet or too prominent. Maybe its the fact that the synth is not stereo but dual mono? But ext fx will undoubtedly fit the bill here.

I already know analog enthusiasts will scoff at the sound. Its abrasive and a bit flat. But for what I want to use it for, its digital in all the right places. And man, that sequencer is such a breath of fresh air after all these onboard step sequencers every other synth is offering :nyan:

3 Likes

Cool!! Glad to hear that there is another convert!! I take it you went for the black version? The contrast between keys was why I went for white.

Always black for me whenever possible :sunglasses:

1 Like

I do tend to prefer it too but I knew that my aging eyes wouldn’t cope with the lack of contrast. If it had been all black except the keys… or the keys has been a much lighter shade of grey then I’d have been all over that one.

Its not a dealbreaker for me in any case, as I intend to be using external keyboards most of the time anyway. The onboard keyboard will just be used for dialing in presets and sequences. I never got along with the keyboards on volcas either, despite them having no dead space and better contrast in the UI.

1 Like

do you know how to export presets into files that could be shared? Just making my first patches, seems to me like there is no way to share Skulpt patches from the app?

The 8 slot mod matrix enables quite intricate sound design :diddly:

Sorry, can’t help with that I’m afraid. I’ve not even bothered to install the app as yet. I only ever bother with computer based editors for synths that have lots of menus and sub-pages.

I recommend installing the app to your phone or something (its for both iOS and Android and free). Makes modmatrix editing much more manageable, and the patch / sequence librarian is well thought out. You can name your patches, and move patches between the editor and the synth easily, there’s even a “clipboard work area” for temporarily storing presets and sequences in a clipboard that can then be drag and dropped to the various banks. Good stuff!

You can create much more banks on the editor than you can fit onto the synth memories, so you can build up a huge collection of sounds/sequences and then just dump any patches / sequences you see fit into the synth memory. Very convenient for gigs / compartmentalizing projects etc.

I got that USB-C to micro-USB cable, and it works perfectly with my iPad pro for nifty donglefree interfacing with iOS.

I managed to create quite an evocative preset last night utilizing only a few modslots. I can’t get over how slept on this synth is! Guess I should post some snippets to soundcloud to give peeps a hint :wink:

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s probably very sensible advice. I’ve been occasionally chipping away at pulling together a live set using my DT/DN and had been planning to use a couple of other devices namely the Skulpt and probably my Acid8. So, the bit about patch management would probably save a whole bunch of hassle.

I recommend it. I find it very nice to be able to name the patches and sequences with identical names, much easier to know what seq I intended to use with which sound etc, at least in the planning stage. For the gigs, I just transfer the matching sequences and sounds to identical slot numbers in the banks, but its less of a hassle when I know I can be sloppy in the planning stage and just rely on the patch names to get sorted.

The division of sequences and sound presets is a two-edged sword. Its much more flexible, but requires more discipline, since the automations in the sequences might not make any sense with the wrong synth preset loaded.

I bet a digitone/digitakt would be a good MIDI manager for this though, since you can just enter the pgm chng message in a pattern to load up the matching sound, and then use the MIDI CC for loading up the sequence… or even completely sequencing with the digi. With SKULPT’s comprehensive MIDI implementation, insane results could undoubtedly be realized, as you can also sequence mod matrix editing :loopy:

1 Like

This looks like a beast in a tiny box. The sounds are really good; very digital but that’s what you get, I guess!

I just found one for £209…! Worth it for that? I was looking at a new synth for my birthday to pair with my DN (Behringer Neutron was top of the list, with DFAM as a fast follower). Has the Skulpt got some longevity?

As long as you like the inherent sound of the synth, you really cant go wrong IMO. To me, this feels like a desert island synth. However, you will need an external MIDI keyboard for decent playability, the touchplate keyboard is horrible IMO.

Disclaimer: I cannot be held responsible for any financial lossses. YMMV. Just giving my humble opinion as someone who has used quite a bit of synths :nyan:

The Problem might be, that one cant buy it…no Store in Germany has listed it.

Brexit?

Just Music in Germany is listed on the Modal site as a dealer for the Skulpt – although their web-site has no link to anything from Modal. I guess you could ask?

I give it a try.

Btw…

1 Like

Really nice for ambient/drone stuff as well, getting into it

(added copious amt of fx (fabfilter timeless & R) in Auria tho)

EDIT: Managed to get syx dumps working so here are the patches for anyone interested:

MX_Grandma.syx (90 Bytes) Play low notes :wink:

MX_Hideout.syx (90 Bytes) Pretty plain pad sound but with delay modulation for S&H flanging effect

5 Likes