Modal CRAFTsynth

Seeing how the original Craftsynth is one of my fav synth, this one is high on my want list (or maybe a sculpt instead). Anyone got a Craftsynth 2 already?
Is it pretty much a voice of the Skulpt?

I have the original craftsynth sitting on a shelf if anyone is interested?

last update from Modal suggested Craftsynth2 shipping Apr 2019

Guess my coins are safe for a bit longer then…

The April batch is for Kickstarter backers, after that it will be available for sale via dealers, so your money will be safe for a little longer…

A little sample video of the CRAFTsynth V2 from Superbooth by futuremusic-es.

1 Like

I supported this…but i now realized that i dont want it any longer. Guess there will be in the near future a brandnew Craft 2.0 up for sale Here…

If youre in the EU, PM me anytime!

1 Like

Just a heads up, these have now hit the stores according to GS.

Sorry but couldnt resist buying one with an extended 4 year warranty :nyan:

With luck, I’ll be getting it before the weekend. Wub wubs forthcoming :loopy:

2 Likes

FYI: Have one for sale, now SOLD

When mine arrives it us up for sale too.

Why so many selling?

Too much Gear.

Mine arrived a few days ago so thought I’d offer some initial impressions. Overall, I’m really enjoying it although there are a few wee minor grumps I have. But they’re side issues I guess.

The main thing is that it sounds really good and you can get such a wide range of sounds. The interface is pretty well considered and it’s easy enough to get to grips with it. It uses two different shift functions to good effect in allowing so much control of the synth engine from the front panel. One wee minor annoyance is the blue shift is a toggle where the grey preset shift function is momentary. It’s most apparent when tweaking the Osc-Mod and then going filter cutoff but forgetting to de-toggle shift and accidentally adjusting Filter-EG instead. I’m sure muscle memory will build up quickly.

As I said, the range of sounds is huge when you take into consideration the oscillators having as many continually varying wavetables, loads of oscilltor mods, morphable filter, 2 lfo’s, 3 env’s and the well implemented spread function. Though it is a mono-synth the spread and osc detunes both snap to harmonically sensible values once swept far enough. The inbuilt delay and distortion are useful additions…

Given the complexity, if you want to do more in-depth targetted programming of sounds it’s better to connect to the ModalApp which works really well. That let’s you visualise what the waveshapes are like, which wavetables, osc mods etc etc much more easily. That said, for more free-form exploration and for stumbling on happy accidents using it stand alone is pretty cool too.

I’m sure some will be underwhelmed by the build quality as it’s not the sturdiest thing ever. That said, I knew what I was getting as I have a Skulpt and there much the same in this respect. For the price it is acceptable to me and the carry case it comes with is pretty good. My other slight gripe was the Kickstarter… it was well run but it felt a little like there was little benefit to backing it rather than waiting for it to hit the shops. There was little doubt it would be achieved and I paid the same price as someone who orders from a shop so the only benefit was that I got it a couple of days early and a free tshirt I doubt I’ll ever wear. It’s a bit of a putrid lilac colour and the design of the tshirt is just a bit rubbish. However, it is definitely worth the money so I won’t labour the point too much.

3 Likes

Had a bit of jam with the craft 2.0 last night. I must say I’m disappointed by the UI. but delighted by the sound.

SKULPT UI is way better and has just enough rotaries to make programming the synth enjoyable. Craft 2.0 is way more awkward to use with every encoder having three functions depending on which modifier keys are active. Not a fan.

Now, having said that, I coaxed some wonderful “Chernobyl-inspired” sounds from the craft in the jam! Sound quality and depth of synthesis is impressive for a 140€ box.

With such a small amt of encoders on the craft 2.0, I cant help but to wonder if a UI design that used the encoders as macros might have been more appropriate…

2 Likes

I agree especially if I use it as standalone battery operated just to enjoy sound…I have to make some ninja fingers positioning in order to be effective in modifying the sound. Anyway…I got it for the sound and oscillators modifiers.
I still dont get if I can be smoother when operating -lets’ say- a cutoff move…so far the sound jumps…
I’ll check with Modal’s VST and App if I can get a better transition.
Still not sure if I appreciate its knobs…:roll_eyes:

1 Like

I paid the same price as someone who orders from a shop so the only benefit was that I got it a couple of days early and a free tshirt I doubt I’ll ever wear.

Actually, the case only comes with the Kickstarter orders, so you got that advantage over buying it retail. I have the Skulpt and I really like the fact that the case came with it as standard, so from my point of view (as someone who didn’t back the Kickstarter) it’s a pity they didn’t do it with the Craft 2.0 too.

I noticed that too when I first played with it and so ended up using the app with it which offset the annoyance a fair bit. Don’t know how in-depth I’d want to get into sound design without the app. Fine for light or live tweaking… you’re absolutely right about Skulpt. Never felt the need to use the app with it as it’s so intuitive.

I find mines to be smooth enough… no jumping of sound. Do agree about the knobs, they feel just a bit too smooth.

Ah right, didn’t realise that. In which case I’ll retract those comments as the case is really nice and definitely makes me feel more confident about chucking it in a backpack. Which I did on Friday for some beer and jamming at my pal’s…

the knobs are a regular D-shaft affair, so you can replace them with chromacaps encoders, for example. Guessing they will sit a lil high on the craft as they do on the SKULPT though. But certainly an improvement in handling feel IMO.

Not sure I’m going to upgrade the encoder caps this time though. The UI would still be unwieldy. Maybe I’ll just relegate the craft into a “preset rompler” duty and leave the controls alone… However, OT MIDI control via CC will undoubtedly be a thing!

1 Like

Hi, I got mine last wednesday. Does anyone noticed a humming noise when usb powered?