Modal CRAFTsynth

i really don’t like my CraftSynth. i call it the CrapftSynth. LoL. maybe it’s just me.

it was fun for about 2 days.

this post makes me want to give it a go again.

Interesting, it looks funky but I rather liked the sound from the 3 videos posted on gear4music site.
Are you using it with iPad?
Can you sync it?

I am more curious about the drum machine sampler…

Link to jshell’s post on Modal Skulpt thread.

So will Modal launch the CRAFT V2.0 on Kickstarter like they did with the Skulpt? [ADDED: Answer is ‘Yes’ see below.]

I think there is enough space between the CRAFT V 2.0 and the Skulpt so they both can be successful products, but Modal is crowding up the space.

This also calls up the question of pricing for this too.

Good find by the way jshell.

ADDED:

Modal CRAFT V 2.0

Craft is about £70
Sculpt is about £250

I’d guess ‘new thing v2’ would be closer to skulpt price , but I think Kickstarter helped judge demand / sales sodoing it again seems reasonable…

How different would a more advanced craft be compared to skulpt ?
(Not very) but I think they’re onto a better form factor and cash flow , can’t imagine there’s much demand for their very expensive synths , last time I used the white rack box it kept falling over but there has been lots of updates since.

It’s probably down to limitation made in the software the CRAFT is more a mono-synth, i think.

I think the product line for Modal pre-CRAFT had them destined for bankruptcy. I wonder too about the departure of Paula Maddox from Modal, and if it had anything to do with company direction. (Remember Modal, had planned a Eurorack line, and then scrubbed it, and now Paula has started a Eurorack line with her company Dove.) I wouldn’t think Modal would use the lower price products to subsidize their high end stuff, but they might well be able to hold on to the high end stuff, if it would just break even for them.

One of you is psychic! I just got an email from Modal announcing the v2.0. 8-OSC wavetable synth. Kickstarter set to begin soon. Target price around 129 GBP. Can’t wait to hear some demos.

2 Likes

ADDED:
More detail here. Info is just breaking.

3 Likes

Rather than wavetable it’s more wave forming and wave shaping.

AND it will be launched on Kickstarter.

ADDED: It’s small, though that seems OK. It’s almost Eurorack in size.
Dimensions: 150mm x 135m x 68mm (6”x5 1/2”x 3”)

There are demos over at Soundcloud.

Sounds good.

Features ...
  • Monophonic wavetable synthesizer
  • 8 oscillators in total with 2 selectable waveforms and mixer stage
  • 40 unique waveforms available split into 8 banks of 5 morphable waveform sets
  • VA, digital and generative waves are available along with selections from the Modal 002
  • Process and cross modulate waveforms with 1 of 16 oscillator modifiers including Frequency / Phase Modulation, Hard / Window Sync, Ring / Amp Modulation, Derez / Bitshift, Wavefolders and Waveshapers
  • Multi option Unison / spread to detune the 8 oscillators for a huge sound
  • 3 x envelope generators for Filter, Amplitude and Modulation
  • 2 x audio rate LFOs
  • 8 slot modulation matrix with 8 sources, each source can have 1 destination. (LFO1, LFO2 and MOD-EG assignable from CRAFTsynth, Velo, Note, ModW, AftT and Expression assignable from MODALapp)
  • Program and transpose patterns with the built in sequenced arpeggiator
  • 2-pole resonant filter that can be morphed from low pass, through band pass, to high pass
  • Delay and distortion (waveshaping overdrive, not bitcrushing) effects
  • Optional MIDI clock sync for LFOs and Delay
  • 64 preset storage locations
  • 8 key touch MIDI keyboard with 8 custom scales and root note selection
  • MIDI DIN in and out
  • Analogue clock sync in and out (configured to the KORG / Teenage Engineering specification)
  • Class compliant MIDI provided over USB connection to host computer or tablet
  • Headphone and line output