Mixing tracks using fx send and cue

Hey there! I’ve just bought my first Elektron machine a month ago, an octatrack mk1, I’m blown away for its possibilities! This forum it’s been a great inspiration to convince myself to approach that world

I can’t find a solution for that: I’d like to mix songs assigned to static machines using the fader for transitions, while monitoring the muted tracks with cue and also using the fxs (without cutting them when transitioning between tracks).

I know there are several threads and video about mixing tracks with the octatrack but I couldn’t find a solution for my problem.

If I assign to the scenes the XLV I can use the cue to hear the muted tracks but when I make a transition to another track the XLV will obviously cut the volume of the whole track, including effects (like a delay).

Otherwise if I assign XVOL to scenes, the fader will only cut the send to fxs so delays will keep going with their feedbacks while the sample volume is decreasing, but I’m not able to hear a cued track with XVOL at min cause the cue monitoring is after the amp XVOL.
I also tried with neighbor tracks but it seems they can’t solve the issue.

Is there anyone who found a solution for that?

Welcome!
VOL or XVOL are before fx, then you have CUE and MAIN routing. It lowers everything.
Monitoring while keeping track fx tails ability seems problematic. You can have Master track (T8) tails though…

Yes. A “neighbored” track Level (or mute state) doesn’t count. Neighbor track takes signal after “neighbored” track fx, and before LEVEL/CUE/MUTE.

Probably not clear, hoping this helps…

3 Likes

Thanks a lot for the fast answer! The schematic is really helpfull!

So I’m thinking there isn’t a way to achieve what I’d like to do…

1 Like

Hopefully someone has a (problably not simple) workaround…

Cue is really interesting as fx send, even internally (a track recording it as fx return) but if you use it as monitoring…)

I also wish that CUE could be plockable to scenes…(there is a possible Main/Cue purpose inversion).

1 Like