Mixing desk set up question

I’m a looking a getting an analog mixing desk so I can send the individual outs to it and have a bit more control . I Probably want a mixing desk with usb so I can then record directly from the desk into ableton.

Do people find using a mixing desk beneficial when it comes to head room and space in the mix? Or is there no real benefit in this department?
I am struggling with mixing at the min, i usually record direct from the rytm into an interface and into ableton.
I was wondering if an analog mixing desk would offer any more Benefits?

Thanks

1 Like

Yes :slight_smile:
Depends on the mixer also.

I think the main way you would get such things is to use the desk to actually mix on. or at least, that’s the claim some make. the idea is that since you’re mixing in the analog domain rather than the digital, the tracks are summed/combined in a better manner. and allegedly, yes, you get more headroom and space.

really, I think you should use what gives you the best results though. it could be a mixer, could be in the box. probably don’t know until you try. me, I don’t like the workflow of mixing in the analog domain. I like to work on a mix, save it, work on something else, go back to the mix, render it, listen to it in various settings/on various devices, refine it further, etc… difficult to do that with analog. analog mixers work better where you finish all your recording, then have a mixing session, bang the whole thing out and call it good. but again… maybe that would work best for you.

1 Like

If the mixer has the ability to record multitrack to ableton via USB then it would work. I feel using an analog mixing desk to mix down to stereo and record into ableton would give you much the same result as mixing direct on the RYTM and recording to stereo. You will ultimately have very little control over the mix unless you’re planning to complete it in a single session. What seems the most effective technique if you’re wanting to end up ITB would be to record your session multitrack. You can use Overbridge direct in via USB or an interface with 8 inputs, or a mixer that records multitrack. This will give you the benefit of mixing live based on your vibe at the moment of inspiration, but allows you to go back and tweak later (add compression, EQ, saturation, exciters, transient shapers etc).

1 Like

Soundcraft Signature 22 MTK might be exactly what you’re looking for

1 Like

I like to work with hardware, no DAW. Splitting out all my AR channels to mixer channels is too much of a hassle to me, though it d give more control with separate channel EQs, aux sends etc. I take the limitations of mixing drums in the AR only as a creative challenge.

2 Likes

I see two different use for a mixer: in live, where the stereo out is basically all that matters, and studio, where you want to multitrack, with or without a computer.

To me, an important feature in both case is the Aux sends (that I’d rather get in stereo).

Pretty good choice.
I also like the QuPac for the computer-less multitrack recording.

2 Likes

For me, having individual channels is extremely important in order to jam and process the sounds as good as possible prior to the recording and mixing processes.

I’m having a few compressors/eqs, the AH and a couple of high end fx units permanently patched to buses and master. Applying these in different ways to each sound is, for me, very rewarding.

6 Likes

Some quality reply’s ! Thank you
I have a Better understanding now .
It seems if I am still recording and mixing in ableton it is not going to effect headroom!

The live jamming aspect does still appeal though, and get some hardware effects linked in

1 Like

Whatever you use, understanding and paying attention to gain staging will help you with headroom.

1 Like

True that. And when mixing in the box on the AR it has a big impact on how the master distortion and compressor sound, which you loose when multitracking externally.

I use a little Soundcraft Notebook 12, and I love it. I mostly use it while composing, to sample guitar parts, or to send audio between devices/FX. For recording, I can either do it a few tracks at a time, or record the Digitakt direct via Overbridge.

I much prefer knobs and sliders to on-screen controls.