Mixer suggestions for a dub (or dub techno) jam station?

Thank you for doing that! Yes, I do like actual mixer feedback. Each time I try to do feedback in a DAW it just sounds harsh and unpleasant. Maybe user error. But, I’m guessing that’s one of those things that will still be better in analog hardware rather than ITB. Thanks again!

1 Like

I can vouch vor my Mackie VLZ 1604, add a bit of info and a bit of speculation.

As for your channel requirements, especially the AUX Part: You are served.

• You might want to patch the auxes via a patch bay.
  • The EQs seem not to be of the type where you can cut too much. I can second what is communicated often.
  • Its not super aimed at recording though. There are options, but especially the “use tip” on each of the 16 channels came with limitations (being pre fx). It seems how that mixer is built. Could be a user/manual issue though. I have read artist interviews with way variing milage here.
  • maybe use a dust cover, as mine did not respond well to cat hair and smoke. Boxes are cheap to get.
  • other option is rack mount.
  • I dont know about chaining 2 mixers, but I would not be surprised if it was in the manual
  • the manual is awesome
  • I found: Most places where I end up with gear, I have a easy time to set up. All the digital gadgets are nice to have, but I did never build things that rely on a digital cheat that I was missing on a venue. This is different with my one.
  • Although a very old build, my experiences with unwanted noise were absolutely minimal. I like my

As for dub jamming, the potentiometers, that did not really survive my torture was the only thing. But that can be avoided by covering, boxing. A thing to look at with used mixers of this kind though. If you buy a used unit, try servicing it. Then it will be hard 2 destroy.

2 Likes

I ended up purchasing a Mackie Onyx 1620i. Used, $400. Flawless condition. Really liking it so far. Sounds great, looks great. No complaints.

3 Likes