I’m trying to figure out a solution for recording my synths and drum machines that doesn’t require me constantly repatching everything when I switch devices.
My setup right now is using two Universal Audio thunderbolt Interfaces wired together (an Apollo Twin with two analog inputs and an Apollo Quad with 8 analog inputs).
Generally the Twin analog inputs are being used for microphones or DI recordings of guitar or bass.
So for my synths I’ve got 8 analog inputs on the back of the Apollo Quad. Since my RYTM can use up at least all 8 of those inputs, (ideally), that doesn’t leave me with room for anything else.
My big Apollo interface, though, has 8 channels of ADAT input and 2 channels of s/pdif. So, it strikes me that a great idea would be to get something that I can plug eight or ten channels of synths outputs into and then go in digitally to the UA Apollo. I’m not experienced with this kind of routing so I hope there aren’t digital “clock” issues that would get in the way…
So, the ideal device would have perhaps 16-24 analog ins, ADAT out, and maybe even s/pdif out as separate channels 9 and 10.
I’ve been looking over the specs of stuff like the PreSonus studio live stuff, which looks like really great if pricey gear, but none of them output ADAT (instead they have Firewire out to the computer).
I think the TASCAM DM-3200 has all of the desired features but dang it’s like $2300 or so. (And, it’s HUGE).
Behringer makes a rack device for $300 that has 8 ADAT output channels and 2 s/pdif channels (from analog inputs). And another for $200 that just has the analog to ADAT 8 channels of conversion. I kind of shudder at the Behringer brand but hey if it works…
The other thing I could do using OSX is to create an aggregate sound device using a mixer that output over USB, combined with the Universal Audio interfaces going in over thunderbolt. I am not super experienced at this but have created such an aggregate device combining the UA interfaces and one of the Roland Boutique synths that outputs over USB cable and it worked… but I didn’t do any high intensity testing of the system. Also combined this with Overbridge to bring the RYTM in and I don’t recall having massive problems but it was really unnecessarily complicated sorting everything out inside the computer.
Just looking for ideas from people who might have similar setups about how to best move forward.