Mix/prod. room very bad, get OTT headphones?

Room is very bad. Loud air vent, rectangular, concrete, standing waves, all sorts. Could get better monitors for the same cash, plus acoustics treatment…lots of money anyway and whats more precious, time. Audeze lcd x, Im thinking. Anybody feel like sharing a thought?

Young family and wife here. Music purely nighttime thing when everyone else is in bed. Mostly Exclusive on headphones. Not the best situation but I get by. I’ve got an SPL Phonitor Mini and Sonarworks Headphone Reference and 3 sets of headphones. They make a difference. Mixes translate ok.

Would I love full monitor setup. Absolutely, but can’t, so have to make it work

3 Likes

I got these couple of months ago since I’m not able to use my monitors whenever i need them. I’ve got closed cans before (AT m50x) and i can say that those new open cans make big difference to me. I tried to mix on them and after playing it out on my monitors it sounds really good.

2 Likes

i don’t know the 712. I have the 701. The response is very flat, no over-emphasize of frequencies there which is actually good, but a lack of realistic bass/BD-impressions and a not so good virtual-soundstage in terms of depth and direction are the cons.

Focal? AT m70rx?

2 Likes

I was very satisfied with Focal CMS 50 and CMS Sub. Sold it because can’t use it in this rent apartment. headphones with Sonarworks reference seems to ok to me… (mono monitor can work to check the mix)

I can always come back and adjust my mix at any point.
Maybe at some point i will get the new focal shape

I’d look no further than:

Crazy comfortable, fine response. They come in several different ohm ratings - I have 250Ω - but they are fairly sensitive so my audio interface drives them just fine w/o an amp. The 80Ω would be a fine, all around choice.

5 Likes

http://graphs.headphone.com/

not all are listed

very expensive … it’s like buying a drum-machine

1 Like

500 € price by piece is not that expensive for that quality of monitoring. People always buy instruments (high-end equipment) and make sound synthesis and mixing and spend way more. They forget that sound quality is essential part !!! it’s better to get a very good soundcard and good monitors + a laptop if little budget to me.

Or if like me room and space is a real problem, no need to spend if not used or can’t used. A good headphones, a sonarworks reference plugin who match the headphone model. And some skills with analysis tools and mixing should limit the thing.

3 Likes

I use two pair of reference headphones and monitors. It’s good to test on multiple systems.

I’ve had Sennheiser HD-650’s for years. I also have HD-25’s (closed). 650’s are really great, I don’t think I’ll ever need anything else headphone-wise.

Regardless, you’ll want to adjust your mix on the speakers at some point due to the L/R total separation you get in headphones. You can definitely get most of the way there in headphones and then lightly mix in the speakers to get proper balance at the end.

Sennheiser HD-650 Headphones

DT 770’s are great, very comfortable and good detail. I found them to be a little too bass heavy causing me to mix my bass too quiet. I’m sure I could have gotten used to them but I sold them and ended up with the HD-650’s

Yeah, I have the Beyerdynamics too - and theyre good. The logic in considering those rather costly Audeze headphones is if in fact they are as good as the reviews say, then they are likely a more sofisticated monitoring solution on their own than whatever I´ll be able to set up in the current room.

Ill def look into other open ones though, Im sure models costing half can also be amazing.

Highly recommend a pair of Shure SRH1540 closed-back headphones.

Even though open-back headphones are better for monitoring purposes, they won’t work well if your room isn’t silent. You’ll probably still hear the air vents when you use open-back cans.

I switch between a pair of Shure SRH1840s which are open-back and that get used in the evening when the kids are in bed, and a pair of SRH1540s which is what I use when I want to block out as much noise from the household as possible.

I’ve used a lot of different closed-back headphones in the past, and the SRH1540s are very impressive IMHO in that they’re one of the most “open” and “non-boxy” sounding cans I’ve ever used.

Jammed into a tiny bedroom that’s ok for messing about with synths but absolutely awful for getting a decent mix.

Have started quickly setting up speakers, laptop & interface in the kitchen/lounge when I have the house to myself for a final mixdown. Not ideal, but am getting much better results than my previous headphones mixes.

Also worth to mention that I.T.B there are now interesting softwares like Waves NX, and other room simulators that help to get a good mix with headphones.

I have the LCD-X and can vouch for the frequency response and lack of distortion. They’re more like monitors than any other headphone I’ve tried.

DT880 plus Sonarworks Reference might be good enough though.

Soundstage and low-end extension are both improved on k712 model.

Loving that link… comparing the low bass response of the Audeze headphones to everything else is an eye opener.