...missing my space?

remember myspace…?
…anybody here who’s missing it like i do…?

just visited selfpromotingwonderland a few minutes ago…
the social dilemma…the ego void…

learned that my facebook profile for one of my project gathered 500 followers…
but has an actual range of 16…
so fivehundred people are into it…
and if i wanna reach out to them, i’m aktually talking to sixteen of them…
ha…
what a poor joke…

so suckerbug, that guy who invented all this, based on the simple need that he also finally wanted to get invited to a party back in his collegedays, does not even guarantee a range
of that small bunch of people who are really into ur shit…
no, no…some algorithm is cutting it down to a handful of that amount…
so i can be bothered to boost…to pay for range…
what a messed up mindset…

if i want to expand my peergroup i already got, to any further specific extent…
ok…make me pay…
that’s standard advertising…so far, so good…
but anything else is cheap cheating bastard thinking…

so, i miss the good old days…
when u fooled around on myspace…shared ur stuff and everybody who was a digital “friend” of urs would know about it…

it’s time for new frame minding…
suckerbug…u suck…big time…and ur days are counted…

6 Likes

You know you’re old when someone refers to myspace as “the good old days”. What I miss is personal web pages on their own domains. Myspace was just the beginning of the social media era.

yes I miss it.
Even the earlier days of fb were great to share music with followers.
I think it was around 2012 when they started to lower reach significantly.
Now it feels like a joke. I can’t reach my followers.

1 Like

Kind of agree but after MySpace got hacked and all the personal details sold to crooks it ended up having much the same negative impact as Facebook tbh

Yeah, it was kinda fun, but I’m not really missing it^^ :laughing:

Not even close. MySpace never had the scale to, say, help trigger a genocide in Myanmar. Facebook has done much, much more harm.

Bandcamp should allow more customizations.

1 Like

…well…basic rule these days…if the product is for free…U are the product…

social media and self promoting wonderland needs a huuuge rethink and relaunch…

fb and insta are not here to stay…that much i can say…

2 Likes

yup, it feels like no-one sees anything that gets posted on fb as far as I can tell, it’s just ads in the newsfeed now. I’ve only got fb for a couple of local groups, otherwise I would bin it entirely. Already uninstalled the mobile apps.

…suckerbug…read the signs…or get outdated by history and the next new thing…
so face it…u created a monster that got out of hand…u better do something about it…
only confidence here…ur algos will see THIS…

Fair point. First world problems.

had a myspace account (because everyone did at that time), did not use it much, never missed it.

1 Like

Yeah this sounds a bit like the member berries. You member.

FB also has everyone imaginable in their platform. With extremely wide ranging interests yet an attention span of 30s or so.

Let’s imagine this new my space and cover the flaws:

This might be the biggest one: People use these things mostly because it’s all about ME ME ME ME. They don’t visit band camp with the same stickiness because that’s not about them.

Due to short attention span and constant need for stimulus a band camp like site cannot succeed at scale. People don’t have enough interest in music. The system could try to promote new things to them but let’s face it, most music isn’t for everyone. So really the people will get bored or they won’t get enough dopamine hits in constant streams so they will stop coming.

I think we have and will continue to see these types of services adjust to maximize dopamine, time on site, and return rates so they can sell more ads.

I hated the customisations of MySpace. pages taking a minute to load because of all the pointless extraneous crap.
It was the lack of customisation “focus on the music maaaan” that allowed soundcloud etc to take over in my opinion

Blinky blonky crappy rainbow designs… that was how it all started – don’t ruin our memories!

(hated it as well :grinning:)

1 Like

There was a very brief window where Purevolume (I think?!?) was an amazing social site for musicians and music fans… then they quickly changed to 3.0 or 4.0 and ruined everything.

Anyone else remember that? I remember their music player being a lot smoother than the myspace one.

the Internet used to be fun. people made their own crappy websites and they had personality.
Now everyone is herded into a few corporate playgrounds. Everything is templates. The only social media platforms that survive are the worst ones. Bah, I’m old and everything is terrible.

5 Likes

I met my wife on Myspace, which was the only good thing to come out of it. My band also had over 20,000 friends, but no one actually knew who we were. Myspace was mostly awful, otherwise. Haha.

3 Likes

Long before we had myspace there was a site called mp3.com (c 2000). That place was fantastic for networking. The user base was active and I found my way onto a few international compilations, booked gigs, etc. That was fun and I cannot remember anyone discussing politics or anything social outside of music.

As far as myspace goes, the lady that would become my wife tracked me down through pictures of me performing. I am thankful for that. :slight_smile:

1 Like